Board logo

Air filters for bike carbs
philhoward - 27/1/09 at 07:35 AM

I have just fitted some ZX9R bike carbs to my 2lt Pinto on a Tiger Supercat (to replace twin 45 webers) but do not have much room for air filters. They came with a Pipercross sausage filter, but to fit this would mean cutting an enormous hole in the bonnet. The quick release fixings on the backplate would also be a safety hazard as the protude higher than the filter.

Any ideas on a suitable performance filter that would fit, or photos of air box designs would be handy

r1_pete - 27/1/09 at 07:58 AM

Here's my effort:

zzr1100 race can airbox
zzr1100 race can airbox

Flamez - 27/1/09 at 08:38 AM

I am currently trying to source an airbox for a MAC with a ZX10R. My main two limitations are;

Only about 120mm clearance at the lowest point and I don't want to cut the bonnet

And the two centre trumpets are 100mm high.

I am considering a custom airbox, how much would the performance be affected if I removed the two centre trumpets and replaced them with the flatter outside trumpets or removed the trumpets altogether.?

David Jenkins - 27/1/09 at 08:44 AM

Here's my DIY effort:

The front is covered with genuine Pipercross foam.

r1_pete - 27/1/09 at 08:46 AM

You'd be ok replacing the trumpets with the shorter outer ones, the difference would be inpercievable, don't omit them, it will cause turbulence in the intake.

IIRC there should be 1.5 X the carb intake bore clearence between the end of the trumpet and the airbix lid.

jacko - 27/1/09 at 09:42 AM

This is how i made mine
Jacko
triple filters 2
triple filters 2

[img][/img]

idl1975 - 27/1/09 at 12:15 PM

Do you have space to run individual filters?

quote:
Originally posted by philhoward
I have just fitted some ZX9R bike carbs to my 2lt Pinto on a Tiger Supercat (to replace twin 45 webers) but do not have much room for air filters. They came with a Pipercross sausage filter, but to fit this would mean cutting an enormous hole in the bonnet. The quick release fixings on the backplate would also be a safety hazard as the protude higher than the filter.

Any ideas on a suitable performance filter that would fit, or photos of air box designs would be handy

bill132hotrod - 27/1/09 at 02:41 PM

This is what i came up with and it works fine despite some negative views, no lack of power either, Airbox with 3" stainless pipe from low down cone filter drawing cold air all the time.

will121 - 27/1/09 at 07:13 PM

mine is bit of reverse version of David's above. with filter at the top where i had space under my bonnet

[img][/img]

FazerBob - 31/1/09 at 12:39 AM

I went the route of seperate filters, though I did have to shorten the front one.
Cost was about £30 including postage from Thailand.

[Edited on 31/1/09 by FazerBob]

[Edited on 31/1/09 by FazerBob]

bigrich - 31/1/09 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
I am currently trying to source an airbox for a MAC with a ZX10R. My main two limitations are;

Only about 120mm clearance at the lowest point and I don't want to cut the bonnet

And the two centre trumpets are 100mm high.

I am considering a custom airbox, how much would the performance be affected if I removed the two centre trumpets and replaced them with the flatter outside trumpets or removed the trumpets altogether.?