Board logo

EDIS timing light?
t16turbotone - 15/10/09 at 05:35 PM

hi, do i need some fancy timing light to check my edis ignition timing? I have some doubts to wether the timing is being altered by Megasquirt, anyone help pls?

tony

theconrodkid - 15/10/09 at 05:40 PM

any one will do,remember it has wasted spark tho and if a rev counter is fitted it will show 2X revs unless you set it to 8 cylinders

David Jenkins - 15/10/09 at 06:31 PM

If you've got the sort of timing light that clips over the plug lead (inductive type) then you may find that you get a rubbish or unreliable flash when clipped onto plug lead 1 - the easy answer is to either clip onto lead 4, or to turn the clip over.

I thought my Megajolt / EDIS was knackered until I worked that one out...

turbodisplay - 15/10/09 at 06:47 PM

I used a gunson from halford timing light.
Worked perfectly on an edis 6 setup.
Because of wasted spark remember that you will get 2 flashes, so once per rpm (might limit top rpm capabilities).
Darren

omega0684 - 15/10/09 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
any one will do,remember it has wasted spark tho and if a rev counter is fitted it will show 2X revs unless you set it to 8 cylinders

im sorry but your wrong there, connected mine up to pin 2 i think and my rev counter reads the right revs. just connected the wire labelled electronic input on the rev counter

MikeRJ - 15/10/09 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
quote:

im sorry but your wrong there, connected mine up to pin 2 i think and my rev counter reads the right revs. just connected the wire labelled electronic input on the rev counter

I think the conrodkid means if the strobe has a built in tachometer then it will read 2x the RPM which is quite correct.

theconrodkid - 15/10/09 at 07:37 PM

mine reads from the ht lead,no need to attach to any other wires

charliems7 - 15/10/09 at 10:33 PM

quote:
mine reads from the ht lead,no need to attach to any other wires

were does the light get its power?
battery's?

ashg - 15/10/09 at 11:01 PM

car battery

ban1216 - 16/10/09 at 06:33 AM

just plug your laptop in and run the car with the software open and you will be able to see the ignition map change on screen if it is working correctly