Board logo

Lumenition C400 probems
John G - 7/6/20 at 08:27 AM

A bit of a long story so please bear with me. 2L blacktop Zetec on Jenvey throttle bodies
A couple of years ago I was setting off to the classic Le Mans. The car had been running fine. I put the battery on trickle charge over night and when I set off in the morning it ran like a sick dog. hesitating and missing all the way to Newhaven. When I finally arrived it cut out and refused to start. I had a spare set of plugs which I changed and noticed the crank sensor wire was next ti the live off the battery. I moved the cable away and it started and ran like a watch all the way down and back.
When I returned to the UK the car broke down 20 miles off the ferry. Turned out to be a dead cell in the battery. so I purchased a new battery and alternator as it had stopped charging.
After a new battery and alternator I can't get the car to run cleanly, it hesitates and misses and will not tick over. It smokes with a whitish plume and the plugs are sooty. I have replaced the following;
Plugs, coil pack, leads, air temp and water temp senders as well as draining the fuel.
Any suggestions as where to look next would be appreciated.
I have spoken to Steve at road and race who originally mapped the car ( it ran like a dream) and he has said that the ECU would either work or not
Regards, Jon

snapper - 7/6/20 at 08:37 AM

I note your sent acne about crank sensor wire near battery terminal and wondered if that initially was the problem i.e. the wire was close to a dying battery and had been affected by stray electrical interference SO are the VR sensor wires shielded and is the shielding earthed at 1 point and at the same place the ECU is earthed?

Have you got a copy of the map and can you compare it to the one currently in the ECU as it may be corrupted

John G - 7/6/20 at 08:41 AM

Thanks for the reply, The crank sensor is shielded. Does it need to be at just one end?
Steve at road and race has the map.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 7/6/20 at 10:18 AM

Have you changed the crank sensor and wiring if that gave the issues in the first place I would have changed them ?