Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Management Options
daveb666

posted on 10/7/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Management Options

What are the options of engine management vs cost please?

My mapper can map anything regardless so that's not a concern. In the past I have only used MBE so that's what my experience is with.

Off the top of my head my choices are:

MBE
Omex
DTA
Megasquirt
Others?

I'll need a loom with it (or making) and it will be powering a Zetec on bike TBs.

The MBE/Omex stuff off the shelf seems to be nearly a grand where as the Megasquirt stuff can be had for half that.

I welcome anyones thoughts/experiences and opinions.

CNHSS1

posted on 10/7/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Emerald K6.
Emerald is Dave Walkers ecu, who writes for most of the tuning mags. As a longtime Emerald user, its great bit of kit, 100% reliable and Daves no-nonsense, no bulls**t approach to tuning (he cant get 1100hp from a Nova lol) has always saved me more money than its cost me. Very helpful and nice people. Call though, emails tend to get answered at odd times as hes in the dyno cell all day.

I think they still do a first mapping at a standard 250quid, whether it takes 1/2 day or 2 days, much cheaper than by the hour if you hit a snag (more than possible on a first setup rather than re-map)

id pick an ecu of whichever make that will allow use of switchable maps and will do multi cylinders and turbos, you never know when you will drop that twin turbo V10 into the project

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

daveb666

posted on 10/7/13 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
What are the prices of emerald ecus/looms compared to the others NNHSS?

(I'll never be putting a turbo in this though so that part isn't a concern!)

[Edited on 10/7/13 by daveb666]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/7/13 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt here, it's the cheapest to buy and even cheaper if you want to make one!

There's plenty of people running Zetec plus bike tbs and megasquirt. So you should be able to get a close map and then fine tune it.

Just check he can actually tune ms because a lot of tuners can't or won't. That's the biggest downside.

My ms2 cost me £150 off eBay including the loom.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 10/7/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

+1 on the emerald

i just bought one, not cheap but in my opinion when you compare some of the others i think for the features not expensive either.

mine came in at £910 in vat and delivery, for ecu a loom, connectors and an external map sensor to allow it to compensate for the boost from my supercharger.

after phoning most of the suppliers , e.g. sbd (mbe) omex, wolf, autoronic, pectel, pe-elecronics, dta & motec, and emerald

i felt that dave walker at emerald would be able to give me the kit i wanted at a decent price and more importantly the aftercare i think i might need too

i used to be a great fan of megasquirt, but i found on the tuning front even with 16 x 16 tables i felt there was not good enough resolution.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

t11

posted on 10/7/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
ecu

Megasquirt for me just speek to Dale at Bailey performance maybe the best man in the uk, I've just done a round trip to north Wales from where I live on the Kent coast 649 miles and never missed a beat and got the speedo off the clock on the M4......Gordon
BaileyPerformance

posted on 10/7/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Go for megasquirt, £1200 supplied, fitted and mapped by us, turnkey. 3000miles / 3 month parts and labour warranty.

www.baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 10/7/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
Hi

+1 on the emerald

i just bought one, not cheap but in my opinion when you compare some of the others i think for the features not expensive either.

mine came in at £910 in vat and delivery, for ecu a loom, connectors and an external map sensor to allow it to compensate for the boost from my supercharger.

after phoning most of the suppliers , e.g. sbd (mbe) omex, wolf, autoronic, pectel, pe-elecronics, dta & motec, and emerald

i felt that dave walker at emerald would be able to give me the kit i wanted at a decent price and more importantly the aftercare i think i might need too

i used to be a great fan of megasquirt, but i found on the tuning front even with 16 x 16 tables i felt there was not good enough resolution.

Just been out for a spin in my 360bhp/400lblf 3 door cosworth (we use it as a demo car), I have an AFR gauge in the car, the fuelling is spot on at all throttle positions/rpms/boost, we have mapped at least 50 megasquirts on all sorts of engines, 16 x 16 tables us sell you will ever need.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 10/7/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t11
Megasquirt for me just speek to Dale at Bailey performance maybe the best man in the uk, I've just done a round trip to north Wales from where I live on the Kent coast 649 miles and never missed a beat and got the speedo off the clock on the M4......Gordon

Hi Gordon, did you ever get your fan temp setting adjusted? Sorry for not getting back to you, very busy here at the mo, thanks for the recommendation by the way, most of our work comes by word if mouth :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.