Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Additional Zetec Key?
the_big_1

posted on 4/5/21 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Additional Zetec Key?

Hi All,

Is there a way to get / copy etc a new key for a Black Top zetec?
I have two keys now, one with remote buttons, one without but I would like to create another so I can take out the transponder and fit it inside a none Ford key.
Its the little glass part that is for PATS I need to get coded etc.

Cheers!!!

mcerd1

posted on 4/5/21 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I thought you could teach the PATS on the car to recognise a new key (/transponder) rather than recode the transponder

At least according to the book I got with my focus (2001 blacktop) - as long as you have the 2 original keys you can put it into a mode where it will learn a new key (up to 5 total keys from memory)

this is obviously the US version - but I believe its a very similar process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYPCsoQYTrw

best place to get the right procedure for your one would be the ECU donor cars owners handbook (for have quite a few online)
https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/my-vehicle/download-your-manual?ref=%2Fuseful-information%2Fterms-and-privacy-policy-hub%2Fpreferences
quote:

ODED KEYS

Note: Have all of your remaining keys erased and recoded if you lose a key. Ask your dealer for further information. Have replacement keys recoded together with your existing keys.
Note: Do not shield your keys with metal objects. This may prevent the receiver from recognising your key as a valid one.
If you lose a key, you can obtain a replacement from your Ford Dealer. If possible, provide them with the key number from the tag provided with the original keys. You can also obtain additional keys from your Ford Dealer.
Key coding
A maximum of eight keys (including the ones supplied with the vehicle) can be coded using two other keys previously coded for your vehicle.
Complete each of the following steps within five seconds.
Insert the first key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
Turn the key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch.
Insert the second key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
Turn the second key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch − the key coding mode is now activated.
If an uncoded key is now inserted in the ignition switch and turned to position II within 10 seconds, this key is coded to the system.
After the coding process is completed, remove the key from the ignition switch. Wait five seconds for the system to be activated.
If coding is not completed correctly, the indicator light flashes after the ignition is switched on with the newly coded key and the engine will not start.
Repeat the coding process after waiting 20 seconds with the ignition switched on (position II).
Coding erasure
With two keys coded for your vehicle you can make all the other coded keys unusable, e.g. after loss:
Complete each of the following steps within five seconds.
Carry out the first four steps under Key coding, then continue as follows:
Insert the second key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
Remove the key from the ignition switch.
Insert the first key in the ignition switch, turn to position II and hold. The control light flashes for five seconds.
If the ignition is switched off during these five seconds, the erasure process is terminated and no key is erased.
If the erasure process is completed, all the other keys, apart from the two used for erasure, can no longer be used unless recoded.
Additional keys can now be coded.

[Edited on 4/5/2021 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 4/5/2021 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 4/5/21 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know about Ford.

When SWMBO lost the 2nd key (push-in fob) for a VW company car I had in 2007 you could buy a new fob thing for about £20. Having it and the car coded to each other by VW was nearly £400.

I didn't bother!

I handed the car back to the lease company with an uncoded fob hoping they'd never check. They didn't and I never heard a word about it.

If it had been my own car I'd have felt different and been far more inclined to look for a solution to get a 2nd key fob working!

the_big_1

posted on 4/5/21 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

I will have to look on ebay for the correct chip to use and try it out. Looks like worse case need to use Forscan?

big_wasa

posted on 4/5/21 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
You can do it with Forscan with the extended licence or you could a couple of years ago when I had a play.

You can manually teach the gems but not the ecu.

the_big_1

posted on 25/5/21 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

I used the forscan in the end. Extended license is free for two months.
I purchased to mazda mx5 blank keys that open up and plenty of space to fit the chips in I purchased of eBay (using MX5 column)
Followed the simple procedure and now both keys work everytime!

Happy days!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.