Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: British jobs for British workers
nstrug

posted on 4/2/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
And Americans, coming over here, taking our women and stealing jobs from our hardworking insolvency lawyers?

Nick

quote:
Originally posted by idl1975
One of the arguments (I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this) about freedom of movement for workers is basically that, as with many things in Europe, the game is rigged against us, for historical, economic and political reasons.

Firms in the UK and our government are eager to allow the use of foreign labour. But if our tradesmen want to work in Italy, France, Germany or Spain (for example), they face official and unofficial obstruction. The cultural reasons for this in each country are pretty obvious and probably don't need too much explication. Parallels could be drawn with the conduct of the common fisheries policy and the common agricultural policy, the point being that by hook or by crook, we end up with the short end of the stick.

I personally have nothing against Italians coming here and improving the standard of British pasta, corruption and diving (the football kind, that is), but there may well be some basis for the complaints.

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
How long will it be until other countries start trying to kick the Brits out? What comes around goes around....

Scary times! And yes, stupid lazy UK workforce again expecting something for nothing!

I resent the lazy workforce comments.
I did a 4 year apprenticeship and stayed on to get my ONC qualifications.
I am now 45 and am retaking exams (2391 and 17th edition). I also have to undertake a CSCS exam every 3 years to ensure that I can work on a building site, all at my own expense. 2391 is £700 and 16th edition £600.
I work 84 hour weeks, that is 7 twelve hour shifts.

Someone who comes here can go to work on a site with a 2 year exemption from the cscs health and safety exam.
Who is more likely to have an accident? The newbie without their cscs.

One of the things you seem to forget is the words "British Standards". It is the benchmark that the world works too.
How many employers are allowed to get away with using cheap labour but charging their clients for the real deal qualified people.
I've seen it all.

The only ones gaining in all this is the employer. The rest of use are just pawns.

[Edited on 4/2/2009 by nitram38]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.