Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Well it's been a good start to the week - NOT
nib1980

posted on 9/2/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
As usual, great advice on this site, I suspect most are correct.

Many thanks all. I'll have a think and mull it over. I guess things are always darkest before the dawn.

speak soon.

trogdor

posted on 9/2/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
is it possible to maybe go part time, my wife is in a similar situation in that she hates the call centre job she has at the mo but with bonus etc it pays pretty well.

So on a compromise she has gone part time as that allows her to earn enough money to pay her half of the overheads (just about) I wish i could afford it for the both of us and gives her time to look for new job get experience etc.

She wants to be a teacher, a maths teacher of all things despite having a journalism degree! She is good at maths tho

[Edited on 9/2/09 by trogdor]

MikeR

posted on 10/2/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Folks,

a few people have talked about setting up a business, perhaps with redundancy. I'll now let you into a an economics 'secret'.

The gov. will support you doing this - ok thats not the secret, this is ....

The gov. really doesn't care if you succeed.

See the gov. needs people spending money. If you're spending instead of saving you're fueling the economy. If you set up a business you buy lots of things and are therefore spending money. If you succeed - you hire people and fuel the economy. If you fail receivers get called in and you've already spent your redundancy / fuelled the economy.

Either way, money is in the economy. So, when you hear about lots of grants and training and you think you can't fail after reading lots of nice literature. Remember this post .... all the gov. wants is your life savings to prop up the economy.

If you're happy risking it - go for it you may be successful. Just do it with your eyes wide open & offer me a 10% discount

andkilde

posted on 12/2/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
As a reformed photographer I'd have to encourage you to stick with engineering There is plenty of work in far-flung places like Dubai for qualified engineers if it all goes to heck in the auto sector.

What others have mentioned above is sound and accurate advice -- photography is 90% sales and paperwork, 9% panicking about when the check will arrive because the mortgage is 3 weeks late and 1% joy. It becomes a job like any other after a while.

Better to be a well funded amateur IMO, there is far more joy in shooting for yourself than for others.

T

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 12/2/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
IMO, Keep your passion your hobby.

If you get a chance to go to a 3 day week, then yes - explore the possibility of pursuing photography the other 2 days

Would appear to be out of the frying pan into the fire from a job security/ money point of view....

OTOH, I used to love IT. I now don't and wish I did something else. Trouble is I'm paid (and hence mortgaged) at a level that I can't change path....if you can afford to do it, and genuinely believe you can make a go of it without turning it into a "oh no!" then go for it....

[Edited on 12/2/09 by stevebubs]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.