<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative Fuel Tank Location
lsdweb

posted on 4/3/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
And here it is plonked in place

Liam

posted on 5/3/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
With a bit of jiggery-pokery, Donkervoort manage to fit two tanks between the occupants' bums and the rear suspension. Yep filler points in the rear wheel arches. Clever use of space. Rescued attachment Donkervoort fuel tank.jpg
Rescued attachment Donkervoort fuel tank.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idl1975
Dax mount the Rush m/c tank in the middle. IMHO, it's a better location for mass centralisation, impact protection, freeing up the boot area for, er, boot space (wish I had some on the Indy) and reducing the length of the fuel line run.

Also IMHO, if the seven is hit hard enough that the tank gets punctured in that location, you will have other things to worry about!

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Reason number 1 -
picture And yes that is my chassis (but before I owned it). I believe the corners on a 7 are far more vulnerable than the position I'm putting the tank in.

Secondly - weight distribution. Whilst the tank will only carry about 5kg of fuel, I want to get the distribution right and the early indications are this is the best place. Battery will go wherever it needs to for correct weight distribution.

Thirdly - weight. This position will reduce the need for long fuel lines to the rear.

I have no problems with mounting it close to the engine (my single seater one is even closer! Many hillclimb single seaters have their fuel tank in the engine bay eg Jedi. The vent willl run away from the engine bay. The one concern I have is refuelling but I will be careful and wait for things to cool off first.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 10/2/09 by lsdweb]

but the only problem with small tanks is range - they are small - i mean small - each to their own application of course -racing cars dont need big.. but if its road???

C10CoryM

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've considered putting the fuel tank in the same spot, but I can't get the tank size I need there while still having passengers over 4ft tall.
I need 40L tank capacity which is about 18x18x18" (45cm). If I didnt have a tube already nicely welded in place over top I might be able to fit one there though.

Way I see it:

Pros:
Closer to CG
shorter fuel lines to rupture
less fuel slosh (square but tall tank)
less likely to get hit

Cons:
no where to put battery (battery cables are heavier than fuel lines with fuel)
safe refueling is more difficult
tank vent may give off fumes noticable in cockpit

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
The tank is designed for sprints and hillclimbs so will be more than adequate.

There's loads of room next to the tank for the battery or I may locate it somewhere in the engine bay, dependent on space, weight, cable runs etc..

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.