Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: warming my garage
splitrivet

posted on 15/11/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Electric greenhouse heater, cheap enough to run so you can leave it on all the time and/or one of those stands with 2 halogen floods loads of light and warms up the garage pretty pronto too.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

iank

posted on 15/11/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I bought one of those halogen heaters last year,it works a treat and only cost £12.
I think they are even cheaper this year.

were did you buy these from, they sound ideal

Don't know about bob, but I got mine from Lidl based on a post in 'bargains elsewhere'.

Screwfix have them.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101334&ts=00010

JonBowden

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've been doing lots of outside building work recently (in between the downpours). I've found that wearing a Dickies £18 overall overtwo T shirts and a sweatshirt works well - just the right warmth to work in.

If you're really serious about heating your garage, I reckon that underfloor heating is the way to go - I'll consider it when I finally get a garage

Jon

PeterW

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
I've been doing lots of outside building work recently (in between the downpours). I've found that wearing a Dickies £18 overall overtwo T shirts and a sweatshirt works well - just the right warmth to work in.

If you're really serious about heating your garage, I reckon that underfloor heating is the way to go - I'll consider it when I finally get a garage

We have underfloor, but not in the garage... Although it is a nice idea..!

Biggest heat loss in a garage is the gap under the main door, and the main door itself.

If it is GRP or steel, line it with thin insulation ! A £30 draft strip is easily atteched to the bottom of the door.

Cheers

Peter

andrew.carwithen

posted on 15/11/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I bought one of those halogen heaters last year,it works a treat and only cost £12.
I think they are even cheaper this year.

were did you buy these from, they sound ideal

I bought mine from the local discount store for about £6! They warm up really quickly and oscillate to 'spread' the heat over a wider area.
Have a look on ebay under 'halogen heater' there's loads of them on there (but not necessarily quite as cheap as mine was!)

Andy.

owelly

posted on 15/11/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Build an oil burner. You'll need an old 12kg (IIRC) calor/similar gas bottle, some copper tube (8-10mm soft), some sort of gate valve/stop valve, some fittings and something to make a chimney. Exhaust pipe will do and you need somewhere to exit the chimney! The one I crafted took a couple of minutes to light and within 10 minutes, the whole stove was glowing red hot. I ran it on old sump oil, veggy oil, red diesel and anything else that was runny and smelly!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 15/11/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
well, i would always say insulation and draft reduction first and foremost. When i finally rebuild my garage, it will have an insulated roof, an electric roller door with some padding on the back, and draft excluders. As its not attached to the house i would have a stove too.

B&Q now sell insulation that is in a foil bag, and is low itch. Nice stuff, i did a mates loft with it last week and it wasnt too bad. Certainly works!

[Edited on 15/11/06 by JoelP]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.