Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is anyone running a car on lpg.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
The forklift I used had exactly the same connector and tank to the ones I have in the caravan and garage.

The ones we used have larger unions with a hand tightened nut and a much coarser thread than our camping bottles which have a thread for the standard regulator and a hexagonal nut.

Perhaps there are variations, maybe different suppliers use different connections, I certainly remember pinching one of the welders propane burner cylinders when the forklift ran out. Regardless they all go to a pipe anyway so it makes no difference in the end. Point is I think there are no reasons that you can't bolt a calor gas type tank into a car (so long as it's not somewhere stupid like on the bumper)

It is worth noting that like in a caravan a vent/grill is fitted to the floor of the boot or compartment that the cylinder is fitted so that any gas leaking will flow outside (being heaver than air) to prevent gas building up inside the car. I'm sure have seen converted cars showing a pressurised inflammable gas sticker on the back. I think I'd have the over pressurising vent pipe (the one that vents the gas in the event of a fire) pointing straight up out the back of the body, like through an old aerial hole for example as I'd consider that to be the safest place for a flame to be pointing.

[Edited on 17/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 17/4/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking on Ebay recently and there are refillable gas bottles for sale that have a standard car type filler and a cut off valve to prevent over filling, these are designed for barbecues and patio heaters etc .For a car you require one with a dip tube to dispense liquid rather than gas.
Also on Ebay are quite a lot of bottles and complete kits removed from vechiles for not much money.
My diesel tin top is on its last legs and im trying to decide between another diesel or an lpg conversion.
Paul.

Puk

posted on 17/4/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got engaged Mr. Whippy?

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

zilspeed

posted on 17/4/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Whippy

My Toroidal tank cost 100 quid.
Why on earth would you bugger about with propane bottles.
My Sequential kit cost 400 quid.
My installation cost nada becuase I did it myself.

Corgi has nothing to do with LPG conversions - at all - ever.

I had broke even within 6 months because of the above costs.

triumphdave

posted on 17/4/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by triumphdave
I have been running my explorer on LPG for a couple of years know,well pleased with it.I can not tell the difference when it changes over.Paying 43p a litre

43p a litre is pretty good prices I have seen quoted are about 55p.

Yes I get a loyalty card from my local garage which knocks off 10p a litre

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

Puk

posted on 18/4/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I heard back from the company in my previous mail. I had asked if I could run a car on propane and/or butane in the absence of LPG. They said:

"you can't run a car on LPG if you can't buy it"

fair enough! With a bit more prompting they stated that you could not run an engine on bottled propane or butane because the the bottles produce vapor rather than liquid. there was an exception - engines under 15bhp. Perhaps that explains the fork lift trucks that I've seen running on bottled gas, but either:

Foklift trucks have small engines than I'd imagined
    That 15bhp limit is a bit low
    The gas canister contained lpg
    It was propane/butane but it issued a liquid

Pah - think another expert is called for...

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

zilspeed

posted on 18/4/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Turn the gas bottle upside down.

Guess what comes out ?
Yep, liquid.

The bottles for forklifts have a liquid takeoff inside them so the can be laid flat.

There have been one, maybe two occasions with poorly maintained nozzles at filling stations when a very small amount of liquid has actually leaked out on me.
It really is peculiar seeing a clear liquid boiling at ambient temperature, maybe 8 degrees C.

Actual boiling point is -42 degrees C.

paulf

posted on 18/4/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
LPG is propane , sometimes it may have a small amount of butane added but the bottle coulor is red if propane and blue if butane.Fork lift trucks use a bottle with a dip tube to dispense liquid, this is the reason that the bottles have an arrow to show which way up to fit the bottle.
I suppose you could use a propane bottle if you mounted it inverted though.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Puk
I heard back from the company in my previous mail. I had asked if I could run a car on propane and/or butane in the absence of LPG. They said:

"you can't run a car on LPG if you can't buy it"

fair enough! With a bit more prompting they stated that you could not run an engine on bottled propane or butane because the the bottles produce vapor rather than liquid. there was an exception - engines under 15bhp. Perhaps that explains the fork lift trucks that I've seen running on bottled gas, but either:

Foklift trucks have small engines than I'd imagined
    That 15bhp limit is a bit low
    The gas canister contained lpg
    It was propane/butane but it issued a liquid

Pah - think another expert is called for...

britishtrident

posted on 18/4/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Whippy

Thats a good price for a sequential kit -- begs the question where from ?

zilspeed

posted on 18/4/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Whippy

Thats a good price for a sequential kit -- begs the question where from ?

Why, ebay of course

Aldesa kit on ebay

This very kit.

paulf

posted on 18/4/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
It says on that advert that it is fully self mapping , is this correct?
Paul

zilspeed

posted on 18/4/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much.

Drive it and it records the petrol injection settings and uses them as a starting point for gas. It then uses the readings from the O2 sensor to continually check whether these are actually the right ones on gas. It then adjusts continually to enhance the map. I'm as cynical as the next man, but yes it does work.

In addition, I can plug my laptop in and do it manually - again with the standard O2 sensor.

As you may have gathered, I'm a fan.

britishtrident

posted on 19/4/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Pretty much.

Drive it and it records the petrol injection settings and uses them as a starting point for gas. It then uses the readings from the O2 sensor to continually check whether these are actually the right ones on gas. It then adjusts continually to enhance the map. I'm as cynical as the next man, but yes it does work.

In addition, I can plug my laptop in and do it manually - again with the standard O2 sensor.

It sounds like a good bit of kit some of the other kits on Ebay look a bit ropey.

The best looking quality wise UK kits I have are here http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/ about £200 dearer.

[Edited on 19/4/08 by britishtrident]

paulf

posted on 19/4/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Would it work on a turbo car? I have achance of a Rover 800 vitesse turbo with 77000 miles on it but wouldnt consider running it on petrol although my 600 diesel needs repalcing soon and this may do the job.
Paul
quote:
Pretty much.

zilspeed

posted on 19/4/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Would it work on a turbo car? I have achance of a Rover 800 vitesse turbo with 77000 miles on it but wouldnt consider running it on petrol although my 600 diesel needs repalcing soon and this may do the job.
Paul

Yes indeed it would.
On the turbo car, as boost comes in, injector times rise accordingly.
On LPG injection they do exactly the same. It's also 110 octane, so maybe ideal for a turbocharged engine.
Previously, LPG was reckoned not to work on forced induction engines due to them essentially running what amounted to a simple carb on the inlet manifold.
Sequential injection has changed all of that.

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
There is a fairly active lp-gas forum in Yahoo groups I joined recently to start to gather info.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/lp-gas/

Some of the threads have info on converting the Rover 2 litre Turbo in the 620Ti and 820 Vitesse.

For what I gather this engine in 197 bhp form pushes the flow rate of the systems used to the limit.

ISTR the 820 only the Vitesse Turbo Sport had this engine the more common Vitesse Turbo had a bit less power (istr 174 bhp but In might be wrong).

I think the way to tell a Vitesse Turbo Sport from the normal Turbo is the diameter of the front brake discs.

[Edited on 20/4/08 by britishtrident]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.