Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharged Zetec.
jeffw

posted on 29/2/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of things have been done (just can't see most of it) and here is the latest photo.

Bonnet is going back on these evening and then we just need a silicon hose for the supercharger inlet and some o-rings from Jenvey and we can fit everything back together. Looking at Saturday to get it running.

bi22le

posted on 29/2/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good then. I bet your like a kid at christmas, probably feels like when you first got the car and just want to drive!

Do you have 2 oil rads? One at the front middle and one behind front right wheel.

Is one for SC the other for the engine?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jeffw

posted on 29/2/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
The one by the front wheel is for the supercharger and the one in front of the intercooler is for the engine.

I really like my remote filter housing....odd but true

[Edited on 29/2/12 by jeffw]

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/2/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Jeff,

Regarding cooling. I have the same arrangement as you (identical bonnet, rad and intercooler, very similar oil cooler).
I haven't been on the track yet and probably only make about 250bhp but I don't have overheating problems as yet.

My set-up includes a complete floor, but I have a few more bonnet vents to let the air out.

Just another datapoint.

You must be pretty excited now the weather has got warm just in time. Be careful it is still slippy out there.

Matt

jeffw

posted on 2/3/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
more pictures

beaver34

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
looks great, what size intercooler pipework do you use?
jeffw

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
2.25" . Mainly because anything larger would be a pain to package plus it will reduce lag.

jeffw

posted on 3/3/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
The car is finished....except the base map and the the rolling road session. It is coming back to me on Monday and then it will need to go to ATSpeed to be mapped.

mabbs

posted on 4/3/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Wow Jeff, good work. Cant wait to see how it performs. I have not recirculated the dump valve, dont think it will make much difference either way ? Good luck with the map runs - looking forward to see the power output.
jeffw

posted on 4/3/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I prefer not to have the classic dump valve noise, hence the recirc valve (Audi 710N).

The car is off to ATSpeed on Monday to be mapped, including cold start, so it should be back tail end of the week. Starting to get excited now

jeffw

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
First power run (low boost and safe fuelling plus the cams are not optimised yet) Note this is wheel HP not crank. We have some issues which need to be worked through and hopefully the car will be hi-boost and mapped late next week.

[Edited on 9/3/12 by jeffw]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jeff,

That's good power for 8PSI, can i ask what cams you are running?

I guess you will be running more boost at a later date, if so what power are you hoping for?

Cheers Dale.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's wheel power as well so about 265-270 at the crank. The engine has a CNC Head (ported/flowed/big valves etc) and their cams. Once the engine is upto 17-18 psi we should see 300ish at the wheels.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 9/3/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
It's wheel power as well so about 265-270 at the crank. The engine has a CNC Head (ported/flowed/big valves etc) and their cams. Once the engine is upto 17-18 psi we should see 300ish at the wheels.

It's very good, we see around 240BHP and 250lb/ft (at crank) at 12PSI on our turbo conversions but we do not touch the engine, we use stock head, cams and inlet manifold - sometimes aftermarket rods and pistons depending on application. (250BHP been the limit on the stock cast pistons)

Can you find out the spec of the cams? would love to know timings.

We are building a full race turbo zetec at the moment, we are chancing our arm by using full race NA cams (something we have done with good results on other turbo engines) with lots of boost (30+PSI) to attempt to hit 500BHP on 98RON.

Looking at what you have achieved on low boost i would think my engine will make over 500BHP, the only question is will it stay in one piece!!!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 9/3/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The cams have pretty much the maximum lift you can have before you would need to pocket the pistons but they have a lot of duration (over 300 deg if memory serves). The head will flow enough air to make 280BHP NA. The engine has forged pistons and rods now and is at 10:1. http://www.cncheads.co.uk/ford_zetec.html

The Omex kit which runs 8psi makes 220 crank on a stock Zetec with stock inlet so the engine in mine is 50BHP up on that with the same boost pressure. And this is before swinging the cams to optimise the settings.

Will be interesting at 1.1-1.2 bar.

[Edited on 9/3/12 by jeffw]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 9/3/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like Omex are going the same way as some of the Jap tuners, keep CR high, run NA style cams. This does seem to be the way to go, you are effectively building a NA race engine and adding forced induction as apposed to building a supercharged engine - if you see what i mean!

The only minor comment i have after looking again at your dyno printout is the lack of low down torque, i would imagine this will be sorted what the tuning is completed and boost raised, the SC doesn't seem to make much boost at lower revs, may get better when geared up.

Having said that great lumps of torque mite not be what you want in a light car!!

jeffw

posted on 9/3/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Precisely. I went this way with the Rotrex to avoid turbo type torque low down. This is more a 'super' NA engine rather than a forced induction engine. It will still make 260-270 ft lbs and 150+ from 2500rpm.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 9/3/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Precisely. I went this way with the Rotrex to avoid turbo type torque low down. This is more a 'super' NA engine rather than a forced induction engine. It will still make 260-270 ft lbs and 150+ from 2500rpm.

Yep, should be nice and drivable.
We did a turbo zetec in a Fiesta a couple of weeks ago, stock head, cams, plastic inlet. It made 270BHP at 4500RPM(would rev to 7000RPM but no more power) and 320lb/ft at 4000RPM.
This engine was built by the owner, to "old school" spec, 8.0/CR, cosworth T34 turbo and lots of boost. Very impressive on the dyno but virtually undrivable on the road, it would light up the tyres in 4th gear!!

I prefer a more consistent power delivery, i enjoy mapping and driving V8s as the lazy power looks boring on the dyno but is often faster on the road. My own car is a procharger rover V8, great to drive.

jeffw

posted on 10/3/12 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
My 'other' car till recently was a Audi RS4 which was running 530BHP (at vast expense). That V6 would do 29psi at 5000rpm dropping to 24psi at red line. The Rotrex makes maximum boost at the redline. And this is essentially the difference between the Turbo car with a big spike of torque (max torque on the RS4 is around 4250rpm) low down compared with the almost flat torque curve on the Rotrex. I think the Rotrex system is ideally suited to light cars....but I haven't driven it yet

mabbs

posted on 10/3/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Good news Jeff, well on target. I assume you are controlling boost with the supercharger pulley wheel ? Will you be running the 85mm for max boost at 7000 RPM ?

I have had my engine fully balanced so will try running up to 8000 RPM to see if their is any advantage, but will need to increase the pully diameter so as not to overspeed the supercharger.

I have pocketed my pistons and had the block machined to reduce the squish clearence, but no work to the head (apart from a little tinkering to the exhaust side of the standard cam). I have been told the profile on standard cams are very good for forced induction, but this means I have just to maximise the cams and port the head for future mods - no engine out.

Look forward to the high boost runs !!

[Edited on 10/3/12 by mabbs]

jeffw

posted on 10/3/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
The pulley is 95mm currently. There well maybe a boost leak as this was the first power run.

Are you not using the Omex pistons and rods then? Raising the CR on a stock engne might not be a good idea....

[Edited on 10/3/12 by jeffw]

mabbs

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, sorry I am running 10:1 CR. I had mine made by JE pistons and the rods are made by PEC before Omex supplied them. I have had pockets machined into the pistons, so to keep the CR the same, have had the block decked. Yes sorry, 95mm pully does not overspeed the supercharger at 7000rpm. I may have to increase to 100mm if running at 8000rpm which may give better top end power but will loose maybe 5 bhp through the range. Will have to find out !!
jeffw

posted on 10/3/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Be interesting to see how it compares to mine when it is completed.

jeffw

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
So the RAW Hi-Boost Supercharged Zetec Phoenix (as featured in CKC) is being mapped by Richard of Omex on Wednesday of this week....be interesting to see what that makes on a stock head. Mine should be back on the rollers Wed/Thursday so both of the Omex Supercharged Zetec engined Phoenixes (never know what the plural of Phoenix is...) should be complete this week.

I'm going to make the effort to do the Llandow CKC/Omex trackday in May so we can see the two SC Phoenixes on the same track.

nick205

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Looking great Jeff

I've been following the thread, but hadn't looked for a while.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.