Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes roadster wishbones to locost chassis
ZEN

posted on 9/11/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes roadster wishbones to locost chassis

Have the Ron C. and Chris G. books. I'm currently building a book chassis and want to use the front Sierra uprights. Are the wishbones from the roadster suitable for a Ron C. locost chassis?

[Edited on 9/11/08 by ZEN]

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

Chippy

posted on 10/11/08 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
The roadster chassis is wider than the standard Locost one, so will be too short. If you are making them you could of course make them longer, in which case they would be OK, or at least thats how I see it. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

ashg

posted on 10/11/08 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
just build a haynes roadster problem solved :-)

the big difference between the locost wishbones and the haynes ones are that the maxi joints are angled at 10deg as is the top transit link to counteract the ofset on the sierra hub that is refered to as anit dive.

on a different note you could use the locost type wishbones and rallydesigns light weight hub as another option.

unless you know alot about suspension i wouldnt extend the haynes wishbones as it will cause all sorts of handelling nasties.

it may be worth waiting for chris g to come along and give some input or give mk a call

[Edited on 10/11/08 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Taz Surfleet

posted on 10/11/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thought you could buy wider MK style bones from Ralley design to fit the locost chassis !
James

posted on 10/11/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
You've got the books! Check the dimensions to see if they're the same.

I suspect they're not (I would guess 1" longer on the Roadster).

And the width between mounts may be different.

What's wrong with the R.Champion ones?

cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

chrisg

posted on 10/11/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well the Locost wishbones are made for the Cortina upright.

If you want to use the Roadster wishbones you'd have to replicate the pivot positions.

There's much more to suspension design that means swapping wishbones from one design to another is not really ever ideal,

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 10/11/08 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ZEN

posted on 10/11/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
just build a haynes roadster problem solved :-)

the big difference between the locost wishbones and the haynes ones are that the maxi joints are angled at 10deg as is the top transit link to counteract the ofset on the sierra hub that is refered to as anit dive.

on a different note you could use the locost type wishbones and rallydesigns light weight hub as another option.

unless you know alot about suspension i wouldnt extend the haynes wishbones as it will cause all sorts of handelling nasties.

it may be worth waiting for chris g to come along and give some input or give mk a call

I woud do that exept the loco chassi is alomost ready to be welded...

The rallydesign light weight hub are not an option, as my are offlimit for by budget. And want to use if sierra hubs as there are 2 pairs of them sitting in my shed.

I thhink is the time for me to start reading the Alan Stanifor books I ordrered recently.

[Edited on 10/11/08 by ZEN]

ZEN

posted on 10/11/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Surfleet
Thought you could buy wider MK style bones from Ralley design to fit the locost chassis !

Refering to this? http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.