Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump chop ZX12R suggestions
Moorron

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Sump chop ZX12R suggestions

Hi guys, hope you are all working hard and not eating too much quality street.

Looking for some advice on sump chopping, I cant find any on the site other than a few pics of the outsides of some diy jobs. I suppose its in general so may help others but in my case its regarding the ZX12R bike sump.

First off, can you buy a sump baffle for the ZX12R engine? Cant find one anywhere so I might have to make my own (good job I work with a turret punch). Does it need one? It’s a very deep sump and it would take some sideways G forces to get the oil up the side of the crank and expose the oil pickup.

Regarding the sump chop, I need to remove about 40mm from mine to get it back to the previous engines sump clearance which seemed fine over speed humps and the like. This 40mm includes the oil drain plug and tangs on the bottom of the sump so I only need to remove about 25mm from the actual oil carrying part of the sump. I can alloy weld at home so this part isn’t a problem, but is it just a matter of cutting the bottom off and welding a new plate of alloy on and then rewelding the drain plug on the side? I will need to remove the same amount off the oil pickup pipe but again i am assuming this is just a case of a hacksaw and angle grinder?

The other thing I have seen (small pic of hellfire’s sump) is the sump capacity has been increased by welding a box on the sump to make it like a typical car sump and box shaped unlike the bike ones which need clearance for the exhaust. Again I can do this but what internal baffles have been added or is it now just a huge box holding the oil.

I want to track the car in 2009 for a few days but its mainly used on sunny summer days out on the local country lanes.

Cheers
Andy.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

eznfrank

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had Martin Keenan do my ZX12 sump chop for a very reasonable £45 and a very neat job it is too with internal baffle. Mine looks similar to how Hellfire did theirs and the sump plug is moved to the side.

He effectively chopped off the bottom and used the sidewall as the baffle with a box made on the other side.

I had to chop around 25mmn off the pick up but it's only plastic so a hacksaw will do the job.

Moorron

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
have you got any pictures of it?

Did you fit a baffle between the sump and engine? or are there only baffles 'inside' the sump?

Cheers

eznfrank

posted on 18/12/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not get any pics to hand, could get one no probs but would be a while as off to Vegas on Saturday and running round like a nutter trying to get stuff done.

There's is only a vertical baffle and no horizontal one below the engine. I know some have done this but Martin and if i remember correctly Malc (Yorkshire Engines) told me not to bother as the pickup is in the right place anyway (ie towards the rear of the sump when in the Indy) to minimise potential oil surge issues.

eddbaz

posted on 18/12/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
obviuosly it depends on budget but I fitted a sump with a swing pickup which I got from ab performance,top piece of kit and if your thinking of doing plenty of trackdays a worthy investment in my opinion.
sorens2

posted on 18/12/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is dry sumped but I don´t know what it costs.
That would be the best way to do it.
Or second best is a swingarm. ABperformance for example.

Søren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 18/12/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
AB have a sump with 360 degree pick up for a ZX12 on the bay at the moment - Not cheap but looks like a cracking bit of kit.

Clicky Clicky

[Edited on 18/12/08 by eznfrank]

yorkshire-engines

posted on 18/12/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,s sump kit is very good we developed thisi for some time and works well
but i have seen Martins sump mod and thet was good as well

athoirs

posted on 18/12/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
some pics of mine

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=40225

Andy

[Edited on 18/12/08 by athoirs]

eznfrank

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by athoirs
some pics of mine

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=40225

Andy

[Edited on 18/12/08 by athoirs]

That's basically the same as mine. Not sure you'll see this athoirs but what probs did you have with the ZX?? (as per your previous post?)

Moorron

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pics, can i confirm that the original horizontal part of the sump has only the 3 holes drilled into it that i can see on the pic and also the square cutout to let oil get to the pickup?

if it is the case my own diy job will be nice a quick to do, and i dont think i need to shorten mine as much making me feel safer knowing yours is fine.

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.