Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flat side carbs
locosaki

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Flat side carbs

Is there much to gain in removing the standard cv carbs and replacing them with fcr carbs ??
Memphis Twin

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hell yeah!

Instant throttle response due to accelerator pumps. No butterflies to get in the way of airflow. You need a sensitive right foot though....

CVs are just updated SUs really.

Actually they're more like Strombergs...

[Edited on 3/2/09 by Memphis Twin]

idl1975

posted on 3/2/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locosaki
Is there much to gain in removing the standard cv carbs and replacing them with fcr carbs ??

Yes. But FCRs or TDMRs are costly bits of kit. More power and better throttle response in their power band.

However, fuelling is absolutely critical (and notoriously difficult to perfect), and as MT suggests, as they are non-CV, they don't manage load and airflow for you. Whack open the throttle at low revs, mixture velocity drops off massively and then you get fuel drop-out.

Once you get them into the powerband, the advantage is very evident. Assuming you're using a bike engine, they're worth doing, but make sure they will work with your gearing. I.e. if you want the engine to pull from very low down, you may not be able to get the fuelling right. If you just want more midrange to top end, they're not a bad investment.

minitici

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a set of FCR39's with ZX10, ZZR1100 spacing.
These carbs have been fitted with Flow Commander System.
The carbs are complete with the matching inlet rubbers.
These carbs were fitted to a ZZR1100 fitted with an 1166cc big bore kit so would need re-jetted for the ZX10.
If you are interested PM me

Norledge

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the stupid question... What are flat side carbs??

www.built4track.co.uk - cheap track days and the like!

idl1975

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norledge
Sorry for the stupid question... What are flat side carbs??

CV carbs have a vacuum regulated slide across the venturi together with a butterfly valve actuated directly by throttle cables. With throttle wound to the stops, the butterfly is open, with the throttle released it snaps "shut" (not quite, for obvious reasons). The carb slide controls the extent to which the venturi is opened up, and thus (when correctly set up) even with butterflies fully open, it (roughly speaking) won't allow the effective diameter of the venturi to exceed the optimal value (and hence reduce the velocity of the mixture, hence "Constant Velocity" / CV carb). So if you whack open the throttle at low revs in a high-load situation, the slide will limit the effective opening to a usable amount - excess throttle action won't affect fuelling.

This was an advance on your traditional round-slide bike carb, where there's a bloody great slide in the middle of the venturi and one cable goes down the carb top and raises and lowers the slide directly. If you whack open the throttle in above situation, you can enlarge the venturi so much that airflow slows, causing rough running as fuel is not picked up effectively or is actually dropped out of the mixture to drip down the venturi into the intake valve / reed block (if it's a reed valve 2-stroke). Open just enough, you get optimal response; open too much and the engine "chokes".

NOW, a flatslide carb (Keihin's racing flatslides for bikes are usually "FCR" series, whereas Mikuni make "TDMR"s) is essentially like a roundslide, but the slide itself is blade-like, which basically gives much better flow characteristics than a round slide, and eliminates the butterfly valve as an obstruction from the middle of the venturi. In the right engine speed and load range and at WOT, an appropriately designed and jetted flatslide gives you maximum flow and a very sharp, precise throttle response.

It can be hard to get there, however. Some setups work well over most of the rev range, but with others the engine will basically stutter and shudder its way to 50-60% rpm and then go like ****. My favourite FCR installation was the old YZF750SP, which did exactly that. When it got to 6-7,000 rpm, the induction noise was incredible and you had to just hang on as it tankslapped down your local A-road with the front wheel skimming tarmac. Brilliant! You have to remember that it also had a 1st gear ratio topping out at 90+mph, so by the time it picked up you were about to break the national speed limit

Now that was a factory setup. Imagine what happens when you fit them to your kit car and bugger up the jetting.

Personally I would stick with a good set of CVs on non FI bike engines over flatslides. And if you have FI, although it is not ideal for road bikes (complex, bulky, poor throttle response compared to silky CV carb feel), I certainly wouldn't remove it in favour of flatslides whose fuelling will be all to **** unless an expert sets them up.

locosaki

posted on 3/2/09 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys guys

So basically with what I have just read,I am right in saying I woul be better leaving my carbs well alone !!

I was offered a set of 41mm fcr carbs that came of a racing side car,They aslo had this flow-commander(unsure of what this is)
I was getting the complete kit plus filters etc for £275.

Theres nothing wrong with my own carbs,there just the standard 36mm cv carbs that came with the old zx10 although they have been dyno-jetted.Just thought I could gain a few bhp !!!!

Memphis Twin

posted on 3/2/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on your application. I had a set of FCR39s on my modified GSXR1100WP engined Mallock hillclimb car. Throttle response and power were amazing (180+bhp), but I never tried trundling through town with them! In fact the operating range of the motor was between 6500 and 11000 rpm.

If yours is primarily a road car I'd stick with the CVs. Also 41mm is overkill for a non race-modified engine.

Chris.

locosaki

posted on 3/2/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
So the 41's are too large,The car is mainly for track use,Don't think I'll bother putting it on the road this year
Memphis Twin

posted on 3/2/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do you know your valve and port sizes?
As a rule of thumb, with flatslides you dont need a venturi size any bigger than your port size (or twice each port runner size for a 16v). If you had 2 x 28mm inlet valves, you'd be looking at a 36mm venturi - approximately!

[Edited on 3/2/09 by Memphis Twin]

Norledge

posted on 4/2/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Am i right in thinking (well been told) that standard bike carbs don't take too kindly to the horizontal g's developed in a car?

Confuses the float chamber?

Is this right or pure rubbish?

www.built4track.co.uk - cheap track days and the like!

idl1975

posted on 4/2/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locosaki
So the 41's are too large,The car is mainly for track use,Don't think I'll bother putting it on the road this year

41s are actually not necessarily too large. If you look at the Sudco (a major reseller/distributor of bike carbs) catalogue, 39s or 41s are listed for most large Kwakka fours, including the ZX-7R. As the 7R is basically a ZXR750 (vintage 1989) with a body kit, I doubt the flow characteristics of a ZX10 lump are greatly inferior.

Obviously with the larger bore, the 41s will tend to give better results at higher engine speeds and 39s will tend to meter better. My limited experience with FCRs suggests that which is better is very much a machine-by-machine thing. Sometimes you end up with similar power figures.

£275 is a good price, so IF you use the car just on the track and don't mind spending a bit of time fine-tuning the jetting (it probably won't work out of the box, unless the donor engine was also a ZX10), it's a very cost effective upgrade.

Just be aware they are unlikely to just be a bolt-on mod. You will probably need at least a day of swapping jets and cursing to get them working acceptably, even with a general baseline setting for a ZX10.

One practical issue is that if the car ain't road legal, you will have to do this on a track day, a very big private road or someone's dyno. You won't be able to check fuelling without load - it may fuel fine in neutral in your garage, but at 70 mph huge holes appear in the jetting.

locosaki

posted on 4/2/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
The carbs are off a powertec zzr1100 lump so your right enough I would likely have to alter the fuelling.Get it on a dyno and make sure all is well.

Cheers

mad-butcher

posted on 4/2/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for a very interesting topic, I was brought up on monoblocs and concentrics, these new fangled carbs are to complicated for me, you've explained to me why when I said to one of the local sidecar racing teams I was thinking of changing the original honda airbox for a foam filter thay said the easiest way was to fit flatslides as they would be easier to set up than blanking jets off etc, had at one stage thought of fitting 4 amal mk 2's

Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.