Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Floor Rivets and sealant
Coopz

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Floor Rivets and sealant

So the Mk kit was delivered on Sunday and boy am I a happy bunny!

I plan to start her at the weekend with the fixing the floor and cleaning up the donor parts. But trying to order sum Rivets and sikaflex 221 for the floor and not sure on size of rivets or which type.

I found these online would these be suitable for the job?

http://www.clarik.co.uk/shop/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1633

If not could someone please link me or let me know what sort of rivet and size they used?

Thanks Guys

BenB

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Those are what I used

hope you've got an air rivetter, trying to do closed pop rivets by hand is almost impossible!!! Perhaps one of the lazy rivetters would get on better....

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I love my lazy riveter

I managed only a few ones with the hand one and then the rivets took on a new menace, thought OMG this will cripple me

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good news! so there not too short and made out right material then? Yea I went down machine mart bought a clark Lazy tongue riveter, will this do the job ok?
paulmw

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
The lazy tongues worked fine for me. Make sure you offer the ally panel up first before fixing as I had to trim it down

Also, when you drill the holes try to miss the welds just like I didnt

cloudy

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Air riveter is a must, and makes the job 10x more fun!

www.warnercars.com

eznfrank

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Have you had a good rummage through everything MK supplied? Sometimes they chuck a load of rivets in.
stevec

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Have you had a good rummage through everything MK supplied? Sometimes they chuck a load of rivets in.

Agreed, You used to get enough to do your floor in the kit.
Steve.

mads

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
as above. i got rivets with my kit and a drill bit of the correct size (got kit in Oct 08)

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Coopz

posted on 3/2/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they did as well haven't seen any will have another butchers. But as long as the ones I found are good for the job i shall get them
Coopz

posted on 3/2/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Also being 4.8mm wide am I right in saying a 5mm drill bit should be used?
procomp

posted on 3/2/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Personally i would not use any bigger than 4mm Dia. Also the prices on the link above are just a bit OTT. Trade they are £11-£14 for 1000. Try SHORT TRACK 123 on here he was doing rivets at the right price last time i looked.

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 3/2/09 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coopz

posted on 3/2/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Right after a proper rummage through the boxes I found some rivets MK supplied

Now im wondering whether to bother with the sealed rivets or use the ones supplied what do people think is the best?

procomp

posted on 3/2/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
HI

You must use sealed rivets other wise you are just letting all the moister and damp straight in. Surly MK do not supply open rivets for the floor .

Cheers Matt

Coopz

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Right looking into it more I found stainless steel 4.8*12mm closed rivets with a 9.5mm flange head..... Sounds perfect as no rust and good strength but they want £109.00 quid for 500 (smallest pack they do) .... well im not a cheapskate I like to do things properly but that seems a lot for rivets

So will Aluminum rivets do?

RK

posted on 5/2/09 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have wondered that too. I used mostly steel rivets everywhere, thinking of the potential rust problem. But they will KILL your hands after a few of them, and I am sure they're no good for your heart.

I was told that the floor will stay on with sikaflex, therefore I assume ally rivets would do. And an air riveter will only work with the steel ones if you can get mega pressure (at least 70 psi).

Air riveter with ally rivets is seriously a JOY to use. You get done in no time.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.