Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mini restoration
omega0684

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
mini restoration

evening all,

i've got a mate who has a crazy idea that she wants to do up an old austin mini (79-83) but she doesn't know where she can pick up an old mini on the cheap, and i mean cheap, like 2 or 300 quid. is anyone on here doing a mini build or restoration that could give her some help on where to start or where we could get our hands on a cheap as chips mini?

cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Those 'free-to-advertise' papers seem to be the best bet for such things. Any Mini that you get for £2-300 from Ebay or the Trader will be a POS. IMHO! Unless you know of one of those cheapy car lots. I know of a couple in Middlesbrough and I'm off there tomorrow so I'll have a looksy.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Any mini around that money will be beyond restoration!

I have owned a few minis and sold up because they were fetching ££££. Next door neighbour sold her A reg mini for £1800!!!! that needed a fair bit of welding done too

hillbillyracer

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be doing well to get something that doesnt need major work for that kind of money, Minis have such a following & rotted & got bodged so badly they're at something of a premium now.
But you never know, if you're keen & are patient something may come along.
I've got one I'm thinking of selling but although tested it needs a bit of TLC to the body. On the plus side it's got a mildly tuned 1275 engine. I'd be looking at much nearer a grand though.

omega0684

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
just broke the news and she says that she wants a 205 gti or vaux nova now, , women! lol
imp paul

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
get a good 205 1.9 gti top motor good fun
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
The first place to start would be with a local club. Did a quick search and found one in your area Central Mini Owners Club. To be honest £200-£300 will not buy much but don't let that put her off as there are bargains to be had if you constantly check all the for sale ads,Ebay etc. I did get a "good" 1980 Mini last year that had been stored in a garage for 15 years for £200 but its cost me £500 in parts just to get it on the road.
This is it when i bought it.

Cheers
Ronnie

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Minis are great fun to drive but ptias to maintain very labour intensive.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

kj

posted on 13/3/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
My son is 13 and after a mini to do up (me) if any one knows of one around £200-£300.
Give me a shout.

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.