Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: types of bearings
blakep82

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
types of bearings

i don't know much about the different types of bearings, but is there any particular reason why taper bearings are used on diffs?

is there any reason why they couldn't be replaced by a normal ball bearing type, like this one

just wondering. seems the tapered ones are really expensive for atlas diffs now, didn't know if it was worth looking anywhere else for replacements.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

clairetoo

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
You have tapered bearings in a diff because of side loadings - if they were replaced with `ordinary` ball races , you would need thrust bearings as well (simple explanation......)

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Land Locked

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Claire has got it spot on.(I love the simplicity of the explanation)
blakep82

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
ah, cheers claire

just wondered, as its a full floating axle, and the wheel bearings supplied by SHP are just the normal ball bearing type, and were considerably cheaper and still a good make.

but if i needed thrust bearings too, it would work out more expensive.

wheres good to get bearings for atlas diffs?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Dusty

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Try www.Bearingkits.co.uk
Also trade on ebay as www.stores.ebay.co.uk/Transmission-Rebuild-Kits
or 01279 793631

omega0684

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
you could also try

bearing boys

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
you could also try

bearing boys

lol it was your post about them that made me think

they don't seem to do imperial taper bearings, which (i think) are what mine are

omega0684

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
ring then up and ask if they do them, im sure they would be more than helpful.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 8/5/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, this set doesn't look too bad
http://www.maintrainltd.com/ford-axle-differential-parts-357/ford-atlas-415/ford-atlas-complete-rebuild-kit-2506.html

uses timken and NTN bearings, and cheaper than bearkingkits.co.uk. wasn't too sure about their 'high quality bearings' i like to know which manufacturer

BearingKits

posted on 8/5/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding bearing prices......

Like most imported goods the prices are rising.... we had a 12% increase today on our cost price of Timken bearings for the English diff alone. This is on top of 10% before Christmas. We try to absorb rise this by buying larger quantities but this is getting harder.

Our English kit price has been the same for 5 years, Atlas 4 years with NTN but all Timken Atlas kit has risen about 10% is 4 years.

Timken bearings for the Atlas axle diff carrier are 40% dearer than NTN, possibly a little better quality but any new Ford you buy today will be full of NTN bearings. They are perfectly adequate for most applications.

We can get some Atlas axle bearings for about £4.00 each, this is the about the same price as a Big Mac meal, both last about the same time !

Beware of chinese unbranded bearings, ie Ford English wheel bearing kits that retail for about £20.00. We used to sell them but 50% leaked, now we just stock SKF brand, twice the price but when you take into account the time taken to fit them sometimes it can be a false economy to buy cheaper bearings.

My advice is whatever brand you buy, get them soon because prices are going up due to inflation and currency variation.

Hope this explains the prices a little

Mark

www.Bearingkits.co.uk
Gearbox, Differential and Axle rebuild parts.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.