Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 to bellhousing question
oldtimer

posted on 15/7/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 to bellhousing question

I have 2 type 9 gearboxes and have come to fit my alloy bellhousing. One type 9, at the input end, just has the alloy oil seal housing and the bellhousing fits up nice and snug. OK. The other type 9 - the one I want to use - has a small plate secured by3 allen bolts underneath the oil seal housing and which interferes with the bellhousing. So, why has one type 9 got a plate there and the other not? and, if others have come accross this what have you done? - is it OK to remove alloy from the bell housing where this plate is??
Thanks in anticipation.

BearingKits

posted on 15/7/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The box with the bolt in bush is a "modified" type, commonly found on Transit, 2.8 4x4 and some 2.8 2wd versions (rare).

The term "uprated" is also used for this box as it uses a large cylindrical roller bearing at the front of the laygear instead of needles and the bolt is shaft you can see from outside.

The original Ford bellhousing will have a cut out to clear the bolt in bush.

The modified bellhousing gasket will also be the shape you need.

www.Bearingkits.co.uk
Gearbox, Differential and Axle rebuild parts.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
oldtimer

posted on 15/7/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, I have spoken to BGH and all is sorted now and the bellhousing fitted. Thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.