Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike engine number needed.
FFTS

posted on 1/10/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Bike engine number needed.

Anyone with contacts in the bike breaking business may be able to help.

Just found out that the engine in my unfinished bec has a stolen recovered engine with no number on it and no paperwork.

Its a Suzuki GSXR1100 water cooled and so am looking for anyone whos breaking/broken/blown one and has a number or paperwork or both. The engine obviously needs to be pre cat.

Thanks

[Edited on 1/10/09 by FFTS]

Chris.

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/10/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
When I was chasing details around before I bought my engine I contacted Suzuki to see whether they could date an engine from the engine number. It appears that they can't although if you have the frame number then they can get to the engine number.

Basically their computer only goes one way. So you need the frame number to get a date of manufacture.

I can't help with the engine thing (although I have a few littered around), although Cloudy may be able to (as he had a GSXR1100 and I think has changed it to something R1 ish).

The other option would be to get the RF900 engine that rf900rush still has. These are spatially the same as the GSXR1100 so that the exhaust and sprocket adapter should be the same. Also the wiring is basically the same. He didn't want much for it, and you could re-sell it.

Here was the link http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=120518

Good luck, for what its worth my GSXR1100 is working nicely, and it seems to work well in a lightweight car.

Matt

cloudy

posted on 1/10/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki UK in MK were able to send me a headed letter confirming the dates of manufacture for my engine, based on the engine code and model it took some persuasion though! matt is right, their records don't work well in reverse...

I'm not yet sure what's happening to my block - so can't help on the number front. It should begin U707 or U708 for a 93 WP

James

www.warnercars.com

cloudy

posted on 1/10/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
PS. the gsxr 1100 is pretty solid mechanically in a BEC, never any clutch problems and bags of power - I just decided I wanted something more modern and injected...

James

www.warnercars.com

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/10/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with James on this.

That is why I injected mine, and am modernizing its head.

FI is Megasquirt. And mine is going to be refreshed over the winter with an Ex-F1 sidecar head and some new cams (later cams WS/WT give a bit more power than the WP ones), although I have some Kent Cams which seem to be quite aggressive.

At the moment I can't decide whether to do the big bore thing at the same time. All the bits are cheap because people have moved on to newer stuff.

Mine is a U707
U709 are definitely post the emissions cut-off.

I'm not changing it because it is in anyway lacking. It is a monster. But I like the tinkering.

I have some random trivial on my WWW that may be useful. And I have loads of bits kicking around.
Matt

ban1216

posted on 2/10/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
paperwork

I can get a logbook for one off these from a breaker friend of mine but it is a european one and unfortunately the euro models dont have engine numbers on the docs
so probably not much help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.