Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Engine Prep Help
Nash

posted on 11/12/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE Engine Prep Help

Evening all.

I took delivery of a Phase 2 (1988) 1600 4AGE engine earlier this week (thanks Russ).

I now want to "sort it" before I install it.

I have sourced the Type 9 to 4AGE bellhousing adapter so not concerned about that part of the work.

I am after advice and contacts for local'ash companies that people can recommend to develop the engine.

I know this isn't "PC" in locost terms but I am currently concentrating on getting the car as it sands through IVA (Hopefully wozsher is on with my wishbones, Bl**dy self centreing, Let me know how your getting on when you get a minute please Warren) and I would like to get everything ready post "successful" IVA (think positive) to fit the full cage (thanks welderman) and the engine for the blistering spring and summer (I said think positive) we are going to have in 2010.

So anyone know or can recommend a good Toyota engine tuning house in Kent or home counties I can speak with?

Many thanks........Neil

[Edited on 11/12/09 by Nash]

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
What do you want to do to the engine?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Nash

posted on 11/12/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Oi

I just u2u'd u

I have the zx9 throttle bodies. I would like to go to a set of 304 cams, ported head, ecu (don't know what is the right way to do here in terms of after market), It's std at 124 bhp but if I can get to 170+ at a sensible price I will be happy....ish

...........Neil

How's the XE?

Southern Kit Car Club

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/12/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm sure between the 2 of us we can sort the engine out. Bit of research

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 12/12/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
if 170+ bhp is your aim, ZX9 throttle bodies won't be up to it

you could've saved a lot of trouble by buying this engine: http://www.jpsc-online.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=230

though sold now.

As you see that one has 180bhp, so don't think about 170+ bhp on a sensible budget unless you charge it

[Edited on 12/12/09 by Werner Van Loock]

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tul214

posted on 12/12/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
My 16v motor was a low mileage small port import from Raw in Hereford. It is standard apart from the following bits;
1,RAW supplied Trac-Pac kit which is....cams, steel head gasket, verniers,
2,Omex 100 (ignition only)
3,CBR 600 carbs-home made inlet
It revs to 8000 rpm all day and has produced a solid 160bhp on Bogg Bros and Z-Cars rollers.

If I wanted any more power I would talk to Mel about getting the head flowed which might get it nearer to 170bhp.

In my opinion these are cracking motors and seem to suit a low diff ratio so to use all of the revs

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Nash

posted on 12/12/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
if 170+ bhp is your aim, ZX9 throttle bodies won't be up to it

you could've saved a lot of trouble by buying this engine: http://www.jpsc-online.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=230

though sold now.

As you see that one has 180bhp, so don't think about 170+ bhp on a sensible budget unless you charge it

[Edited on 12/12/09 by Werner Van Loock]

I'm not trying to save myself trouble, I'm looking to tune my 4AGE to a not excessive state of performance and having done some research 170+bhp isn't hard to achieve and maintain a good blend of driveabilty and reliability according to people who both know and do and for a lot less then £4 grand. apparently.

I love Toyota engines and Raw seem to have a lot of success with them so who am I to argue?

......Neil

Southern Kit Car Club

JimSpencer

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yup got a Phase3 (same as Tul214 at a guess, with similar spec) in my elderly striker.

Using Weber 40's and it's around 170ish.

Considerably less than £4k!

If you're looking to have it professionally done a company who I can personally recommend, as a very happy punter, is Cougar Engineering at Droitwich.
He's a bit of a run for you - but well worth it IMHO - and does a few of these engines for the hillclimb and sprint lads.

Pete Jordan

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm putting a 4AGE16v in my MK Indy and have been doing some research of my own. Cannot recommend somewhere to get it done in Kent but I can recommend several links where you can find out what you need to do. You already know about Raw but take a look on these sites:

BPJ Services

Bill Sherwood's 4AGE page

I think BPJ Services supply Raw with a lot of their hardware ie Cams etc and also do headwork rebuilds etc, although they are based in Herefordshire, which is a bit of a hike. The guy that runs it is happy to talk on the phone, so you might get some good tips from him. Bill Sherwood, although based in Australia, seems to know all about the 4AGE and how to tune it to ridiculous outputs!

Have fun,

Pete

Nash

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete and Jim.

Bill Sherman I have in my Fav folder but will look at the others shortly.

Pete, how far down the line are you with fitting the 4AGE to the Indy?

Jim, when you say considerably less then £4k can you tell me ballpark what my budget should be?

Thanks again

.............Neil

Southern Kit Car Club

JimSpencer

posted on 15/12/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I would estimate your budget at around half that, unless you're planning on dry sumping it - though it's dependent on a few factors such as Carbs or Throttle bodies etc.

The general consensus for a 4age is - don't go too far.

Keep the engine fairly stock, mild cams - known as TracPac 1 - with vernier pulleys, ARP rod bolts and good gaskets - and in particular aligning inlet & exhaust ports should see you with 160 - 175 (depending on base engine model) and 8.5k safely.

Do put a well baffled 'bug wing' sump on it - as if it sees a track you really don't want it running out of oil anywhere..

Don't forget it revs a bit higher so stick it on a 4.4:1 or 4.7:1 back axle ratio (assuming low profile 15's, or normal 13's) and it'll fly..

If you start chasing lots of horsepower (i.e. much more than the above) it can get very expensive per bhp gained and IMHO not worth it. Much better off making it go round corners better at that point

The Knobs

posted on 15/12/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of the Kent cams that came with the Raw trackpac one if you are after some.
rabbit

posted on 17/12/09 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
4age

hi do you have engine mounts and exhaust manifold for your 4age? i have the ones taken from gordon h car
(mk) forsale also digidash system

rick q

posted on 18/12/09 at 03:10 AM Reply With Quote
Plenty run 4AGE's down here - and they're a great little engine. Bill Sherwood's site is very helpful and worth re-reading.

The only couple of things I'd add are :-
- most of us slightly overfill the oil by about 5mm to reduce the risk of losing oil pressure.
- light flywheels are good value on these
- a 4:44 diff should be fine
- run synthetic oil and 98 octane.

Enjoy it - they're pretty hard to kill !

rabbit

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
engine mounts

hi i am only about an hour from you if you want to see how raw/stuart taylor mounts posistion the engine you can always call in if your in the area bn23
nelly231

posted on 18/12/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
would possibly be interested in those cams The Knobs. do you have any more details?

[Edited on 18/12/09 by nelly231]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.