Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best bike engine for around 350?
dan_g8

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
best bike engine for around 350?

righ i have decided that i need to sell my rover v8 engine that i was planning on using for my haynes roadster and go bec
im hoping that my engine will go between 300-400 (almost complete 3.5 efi ltr v8 with ecu & gearbox, just needs flywheel & clutch)

Whats the best bike engine that i could use that within my budget?

nitram38

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
For that money, one that breaks alot!

NigeEss

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 or CBR1000

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

chunky2772

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
theres a zx9 engine on ebay wright now not a bad engine looks in good nick and has all the engine numbers on it! search for (locost kit car )on ebay and you,ll see it.
ReMan

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Might just get an early Blade.
But as said 1000F are good and cheap.
But if you want to be a bit different thate aer others that are "tourers" that could be interesting for the finding

[Edited on 7/10/10 by ReMan]

dan_g8

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky2772
theres a zx9 engine on ebay wright now not a bad engine looks in good nick and has all the engine numbers on it! search for (locost kit car )on ebay and you,ll see it.

not got the funds for that onetill my current engine is sold

Mark G

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £300 for my 893 blade engine, came with carbs, coils and cdi with uprated clutch and baffled sump.

Look around

Bargains are out there.

MK9R

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Early carb blade or zx9. Both bullet proof and loads of them about. Infact I have a 919 you can have for £500 if you can stretch

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
If I were putting a bike engine on with a budget like that, then I would wait to find someone who is upgrading their BEC.

It's the cost of the other bits (sprocket adapter, prop, manifold, sump reworking, airbox, clutch actuation) that can get you, so an engine that has already been in a car will have many of these things addressed.

A few RGB guys like Austen moving away from FireBlades which would probably include a heap of spares too, so likely to be a decent buy. link to ad

Matt

tony-devon

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
with that sort of budget your going to struggle, whatever you do, when you do find one, make sure that its got the black boxes and carbs etc

some of the engines can have many different cdi's and sorting out what engine you got, and what you need is not only a pain in the arris, but its costly in time and cash

kawasakis for example, last build I did, bought just the engine, discovered 8 different cdi boxes and 3 different pickups for it

then some of the kwaks have an immobilisor built into the ignition, simple in the format of a resistor, but not known by everyone

the biggest scam of it all is that any cdi etc that you buy from breakers, they will say no warranty as its an electrical item.

I paid £380 for a brand new cdi from kawasaki in the end, and guess what??? it didnt work, kawasaki refused to do anything as they maintained that as an electrical item it isnt covered by the warranty.

so lesson learnt, buy a complete setup

ideally save up a bit more, buy a complete bike, then you can run the engine, test the gearbox etc,

break it up and make money back on the the bits you dont want, but you know that you have everything and that it works

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 8/10/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Old ZX9 or an early 'blade engine...

Stv

MakeEverything

posted on 8/10/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy a whole CBR1000F for that money.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

dan_g8

posted on 9/10/10 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, thats given me some food for thought.
I was wondering if any of the above engines would be any good for racing application?
I am just stating to read thought the regulations to see what series i can race in and what engines i can use.

ReMan

posted on 9/10/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Now you want a racing engine for £350!!

That's as ridiculous as building a car for £250

dan_g8

posted on 9/10/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
lol, thought someone would say that. was just wondering if people had used the engines mentioned for racing. my £350 - 400 ish (can probably spend more in the new year) was for a running engine only. not including the sprocket adapter, prop, manifold ect. Planning on getting them further along the build.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.