Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: race setup and driving instruction with TMC Motorsport
mantisgb

posted on 9/6/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
race setup and driving instruction with TMC Motorsport

**EDIT** - In response to HowardB's post - Matt is on 07951 056928, Email: info@tmcmotorsport.co.uk & web: http://tmcmotorsport.co.uk

Just thought I'd share my experience from last week.

I had a track day at Donington and had Matt Cherrington of TMC Motorsport come along. I decided, having read Vicky Pickles testimonial, that Matt would be the right person to (a) teach me to be a better driver but also (b) know stuff about Locosts and how they can and should be setup.

I was really chuffed with how the day panned out. Before we got to the circuit Matt had already watched a Youtube video of my qualifying at Brands this year and so had put together a plan of how we should approach the day and get the most out of it. He fitted his own portable datalogger and video camera to my car, and out we went. As expected my biggest issue was my braking. The datalogger identified I was only achieving 0.42g in braking when ideally it would get to 1g!! Anyway, we worked on my technique + noticed some cracked/glazed pads which weren't helping We used his bluetooth helmet intercom so that he could explain stuff to me while on track which was way better than the 20 minute instruction I'd tried previously on a trackday.

Matt also spotted that my rear suspension only had downward damping travel (not sure how to describe it, but basically if you lift the rear of the car it comes straight off the ground, there ain't no upwards suspension travel), that there weren't any washers holding the front dampers in place laterally on the top mounting bolt - also that the top mounting bolt wasn't parallel to the lower wishbone mounting (different plane, not sure what effect on handling this would have, but I get that its not ideal!).

We even had the fan belt snap, fortunately whilst in the garage fettling, so a quick lap of Derby's car part stores found a replacement Apologies too to the guy that nearly drove into the back of us when we ran out of fuel on the start/finish straight (schoolboy error )

So to wrap up - I can really recommend Matt's services for race driving tuition as well as car setup. He's a top bloke, very professional and has responded to my dozen follow up emails! He told me that whilst he quotes his services for a day at £250 normally, he's prepared to offer the 750MC members discount also to Locost Builders forum members, bringing it down to £200. I know it seems a lot, but I'm certain that no amount of 20 minute tuition sessions at a normal track day would deliver the same benefits.

cheers, Keith

PS I didn't get additional discount nor is Matt paying me to write this, I just thought he deserved some promotion!

[Edited on 9/6/11 by mantisgb]

HowardB

posted on 9/6/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds great, can you post his contact details or web site?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.