Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to remove email virus???
russbost

posted on 19/9/11 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
How to remove email virus???

I believe my email account has somehow been infiltrated as apparently I have been sending the message below to all members on my contacts :-

Dear friend,
Just got an Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera on this website: abuby.com Much cheaper than the market price. If you want to buy digital products, just order online and you will get the high quality products.
Hope you can enjoy shopping!
Thanks & Regards!

I have received loads of similar messages recently from a number of different sources - obviously people who've similarly got infiltrated, but can't work out how my pc has been infected as I've not opened any attachments & I run malawarebytes, Avast & windows defender regularly. Malawarebytes didn't turn anything up in a regular scan but did on a boot scan all of which I've deleted, but I think i still have the infection as when someone emails me I get a copy of the above message appear in my inbox as though I've sent it, but to the address of the person whose just emailed me - if you can follow that.

Any ideas as to how I can get rid - I'm using Vista & windows Outlook Express BTW.

This sort of thing just drives me nuts - it's such a total waste of everyones time!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 19/9/11 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Avira do a free bootable rescue CD it boots up in its' own Linux system so is free to scan the whole Windows HD.

Download the ISO file and burn it to cd then boot from the cd.

Avria Rescue Boot Cd Iso file

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mantisgb

posted on 19/9/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like your email account is with Google - if this is the account that has been sending the Spam messages, then change your password - if you haven't already. It is at least as likely an account compromise (your Google account) as a virus having infected your PC. Once you have changed your password, however, I would also look at searching for key loggers on your PC as well as general scans for viruses and malware - there is no point changing your Google password if the key logger simply captures the new one! Most major AV vendors offer rescue scan software, so run at least 2-3 of these from different vendors...

that said... In my experience, the safest way to be sure that a home PC is free from viruses (especially when you've clear evidence of some form of compromise) is to re-install the system. Many PC makers include re-install partitions which make it relatively easy to re-install Windows, and then immediately install AV and enable Windows firewall as a minimum.

hth, Keith

jossey

posted on 19/9/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
more likely they have your password for your email not that they are using your pc.

I can get you a trial key for sophos or something if it helps.

If you need any help drop me a email on davidj*sec-1.com

* = @

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 19/9/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant - you were spot on (I think!!!) I've checked my googlemail account & the only people I've unintentionally spammed are my contacts on there, NOT my contacts list on Outlook, so I've changed my account password & deleted the contact list on there (I only usually use contacts from Outlook).

Can anyone think of anything else I should do???

As usual many thanks for assistance! I could have wasted hours on this!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eddie99

posted on 19/9/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yup i got your email

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.