Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bonnet fitting and profile - does this look right?
SteveWallace

posted on 23/3/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet fitting and profile - does this look right?

Today I've been test fitting the nose cone and bonnet so that I can fit the scuttle in the right place before doing the wiring and dash. I've not bolted the nose or the bonnet down, so the following pictures show what they look like just resting on the chassis.

As you can see, the profile of the front of the bonnet does not match the profile of the rear of the nose (yes, I know that they are supposed to overlap at the lip eventually). The profile of the bonnet looks too flat and square to me. The mismatch at the mid point is about 2.5cm. I can make this less by pulling the edges of the nosecone out a bit, but this obviously widens the point that it fits against the chassis. I can push the bonnet up a bit , but this takes quite a lot of force as the mid point is braced by the bonnet vent.

Is this a normal discrepancy when fitting without bolting or is the profile of the bonnet just plain wrong? I have been careful to store the bonnet in a way that means that it would not distort over time, but if it is storage distortion, is it reversible. Either way, can this be fixed either by how I bolt it down or by applying pressure to change the profile during further storage (e.g. by clamping across the wide point), or do I need a replacement bonnet?

As always, your wise words would be appreciated.

tompat3463

posted on 23/3/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Once Uve got your 4 latches on you'll find that do a hell of a lot of clamping on the bonnet

My bonnet has about 10mm clearance to the chassis on each side. It's not a bad thing it stops and nasty white powder developing from grp rubbing

I think yours looks fine

Cheers Alan

Peteff

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
The dip in the bonnet looks like it is equal to the dome on the nosecone to me. Put some gaffer tape where it goes on the ledge at the back of the nose and put the bonnet where it should go then pull it down into place with a ratchet strap and see what happens.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
By the time the nose is properly secure and the bonnet installed in its correct position on top of the nose and the scuttle I think it should be fine. The bodywork on the Viento's seems to be a lot better than the Luego locost's
wicket

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
My Luego locost was much the same but once properly installed and locked down all was fine.
Paul (Notts)

posted on 24/3/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
The bonnet needs to sit on top of the nose cone as far as I can remeber.

Paul

wilkingj

posted on 24/3/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Mine wasnt a prob either.
I also ran a piece of that thin sticky backed neoprene tape along the top side chassis rails to stop it rattling and friction wear on the bonnet.
With the bonnet catches on, it all pulled down fine.

I did find that I needed to put some bonnet vents in at the back (on the top) as at high (ish) speed the back of the bonnet lifts. But then I still have my SVA proof rubber catches on!

Perhaps a flush fitting DZUS catch in the middle of the bonnet at the rear (down to the scuttle) would stop the lifting of the bonnet.
The vents helped a lot, and also reduced the under bonnet temperature quite a bit.
They were off the later Metro, and were just a couple of quid from a scrappy and a bit of "Restore to Black" juice and some elbow grease made them look almost new.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 30/3/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll press on and report back on progress
perci

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
panel positioning

The front edge of the bonnet sits on the rear edge of the nose cone with anti scuff material to stop rubbing, and i agree with wilkin j, vents at the rear of the bonnet make a huge difference to engine cooling by reducing the build up of air pressure. Best of luck Steve, look forward to seeing finished car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.