Wont rushing doing that again!

[Edited on 28/5/12 by maccmike]

StevenB

posted on 28/5/12 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
what were you vinyling and did
you use water?

maccmike

posted on 29/5/12 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
it was a rear spoiler andend plates. Plates were easy but spoiler was hard. No I didnt use water, I assume that makes it easier?
blakep82

posted on 29/5/12 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
soapy water sure does (only a tiny amount of soap) i can guarantee it!
had a job today, sticking 2 x 1 metre long stickers on a flat surface, and 3 smaller ones, sort of tabloid newspaper size. had to do that twice (so 10 stickers in all)

first 5, i screwed up, all wrinkled, full of bubbles, thought i'd just throw in the towel and tell them to get someone else to do the 2nd lot, remembered the thing about soapy water, and the 2nd lot went on perfectly!

use a spray bottle to get a fine mist of water on, then lay you vinyl on, use a cloth and or old credit card to squeeze out air bubbles and more importantly the water, once thats out, thats when its properly stuck down. made the job a LOT easier

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 29/5/12 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed. It is much harder than it looks.
adithorp

posted on 29/5/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, always wet the surface with soapy water from plant sprayer first. There is speial (expensive) soap for the job but I'm told "Johnsons Baby shampoo" is the next best thing by a local sign man.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 29/5/12 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'd disagree with that, I found soapy water far more difficult than dry. Mind you, I was working with complex curves and needed the vinyl to actually stick firm whilst I heated and pulled it to fit the curves.

I can imagine it making stickers easier (apart from anything it allows them to be slid into the right place), but for full panel coverage I'd go for dry every time.

The absolutely most important thing is the quality of the vinyl. Cheap vinyl is really difficult to work with, whereas the proper stuff is so much easier.

bi22le

posted on 29/5/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I strongly suggest to anybody that attempts vinyl wrapping to spend 20mins on youtube first looking through various tutorials.

I did a couple of little things and had trouble. 6 months later I did the above before vinyling my side panels. Since then I have done loads of things that are complex. It is stressful but with practice its a lot of fun. A second set of hands is always good aswell.

The key is both water (I dont use soap) and a hair dryer (heat gun gives out too much heat). I dont use a scrapper.

Good quality vinyl is amazing at how much it can stretch. Dont worry about the water not allowing it to stick, water gets bubbles and creases out, almost impossibly when the back is still sticky.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Fred W B

posted on 29/5/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
See also thread here

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.