Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina Hub brake options
MRLuke

posted on 11/7/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina Hub brake options

Shortened version: Does anybody know if ST150 brakes fit on Cortina hubs? If not then what cost effective solution do people use?

I have a Ginetta G28 which is based on Cortina mk3/4/5 running gear. It *probably* weighs around 800-1,000kg. I have just fitted a 250+bhp engine and am slightly concerned that my standard cortina(?) brakes aren't up to the job. Will new fluid and decent pads be good enough?

Car is mainly built for track / sprint driving with occasional road use.

Where possible I want to use parts that are easy to get hold of and cheap to replace rather then spending ages trying to buy the only set in the country.

ST150 brakes are 280mm discs with 2 pot alloy calipers. They use 10mm mounting holes rather than the 12mm in mondeo / focus setups.

contaminated

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to keep it cheap get some spacers for your M16 calipers and fit capri discs. I think the princess calipers are a well known upgrade if you can get them. Most people fit these:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=562_588&osCsid=rn8udip10v8qkmnaro05o3gvh3

or these

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/E2245UL.html

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

MRLuke

posted on 11/7/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the links but ST brakes are 280mm and only £100 including both calipers, discs and pads. Not really looking at £400 for a worse setup

I dont have the usual restraints of keeping my brakes within 13" wheels. I have 16s at the moment because my car more resembles a capri than a 7 a like.

[Edited on 11/7/12 by MRLuke]

mcerd1

posted on 12/7/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but doesn't the cortina hub have the discs behind the hub ?
that means the discs will have a fairly shallow bell/offset...

the more modern style discs like the fiesta are sandwiched inbetween the hub and wheel which need a deep bell/offset..

so even if the holes all line up and the caliper can be mounted there is no guarantee that the offset will work out (even with spacers)

I guess to find out you'll just have to borrow a set of the fiesta brakes and try them for size....

[Edited on 12/7/2012 by mcerd1]

-

phelpsa

posted on 12/7/12 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MRLuke
Thank you for the links but ST brakes are 280mm and only £100 including both calipers, discs and pads. Not really looking at £400 for a worse setup

I dont have the usual restraints of keeping my brakes within 13" wheels. I have 16s at the moment because my car more resembles a capri than a 7 a like.

[Edited on 11/7/12 by MRLuke]

But the ST brakes won't fit so they aren't better... they're also really heavy!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.