Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shore rating for engine mounts?
DIY Si

posted on 20/7/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Shore rating for engine mounts?

Afternoon all.

I'm looking at buying the engine mounts for my project shortly, and was wondering about Flexible Engine Mounts Marine / Boat Anti Vibration M12 | eBay.

I would rather buy something a little OTT that will last for a good while rather than buy cheap just for the sake of it. However, I am unsure which rating might be best. The engine weighs roughly 120kgs, plus gearbox. So by that thinking 75kgs/mount will be plenty. But will it let the engine wobble all over the place, or is it better to go for the harder ones and have the engine better tied into place? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a better engine mount altogether?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

owelly

posted on 20/7/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
It depnds what your project is. If your project is just and engine mounting frame, then the weight of the engine is all you need to consider. If you're wanting the engine to power something, then the torque and power of the engine is more relevant than the weight of it!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MRLuke

posted on 20/7/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I cant view ebay at work but my first thought would be that the engine mounts also have to control the reaction to the engine torque as well as the weight.

Feel free to correct me if this is not true.

coyoteboy

posted on 20/7/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW I made my own differential cushion mounts from two-part poly rubber and I used 80 shore, it was harder than a stock engine mount on a 2 litre turbo but not hard enough to notably increase vibration in a tin-top.
Not exactly scientific but might help a bit.

mark chandler

posted on 20/7/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, £19.95 per mount + £9,95 postage = ~£50 hardly locost

What's wrong with SERIES LAND ROVER DIESEL ENGINE MOUNTING RUBBERS (FOUR) | eBay, for £18, a lot more locost and will easily stand the forces involved.

Regards Mark

DIY Si

posted on 20/7/12 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The main thing wrong with them is that I won't be able to attach them to my chassis rails. Otherwise, I would indeed just buys some. But I need a mount suitable for a flat(ish) surface for a 210bhp 8K rpm limit V6.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Jed

posted on 20/7/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know where mounting points are on your engine but do you have to fit the mounts to the chassis rails? I'm fitting a 4AGE in mine and decided to make some mount brackets that are angled forward and fix to rectangular Fiesta mounts that are fitted near to where the original mounts fit.

DIY Si

posted on 21/7/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
My engine will sit a bit further back than yours, and the mounts are more central to the block, so probably 4"-6" back from yours. I'd rather not have them pointing that far forward for the sake of saving £30 on a car that'll cost me £6K.

Yours is looking good though, got a build thread going anywhere?

[Edited on 21/7/12 by DIY Si]

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

loggyboy

posted on 21/7/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'd rather not have them pointing that far forward for the sake of saving £30 on a car that'll cost me £6K.

Apply that logic to the whole build and it will quickly become £10k!

I paid £5 for mine:
ANR1808 ENGINE MOUNT LAND ROVER | eBay

They're very solid (intended for big heavy Landy lumps)

Mistral Motorsport

Jed

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
My engine will sit a bit further back than yours, and the mounts are more central to the block, so probably 4"-6" back from yours. I'd rather not have them pointing that far forward for the sake of saving £30 on a car that'll cost me £6K.

Yours is looking good though, got a build thread going anywhere?

[Edited on 21/7/12 by DIY Si]

With the engine mountings being so far back then you are better off mounting onto the chassis rails. That was my original plan until I looked into finding a suitable mount then sat there with a cuppa looking at the car pondering my options.

Here is my 4AGE Midget build thread.

cheers
Jed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.