Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tracking
beaver34

posted on 3/10/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
tracking

Hi guys,

What do you people use to track your cars up? Is it worth buying the kit so I can do when I like or do most just take it down to local wheel place

I need to get it something like in the garage before I drive it anywhere

Thanks

MK9R

posted on 3/10/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
Hi guys,

What do you people use to track your cars up? Is it worth buying the kit so I can do when I like or do most just take it down to local wheel place

I need to get it something like in the garage before I drive it anywhere

Thanks

I use trackace (see link below), its well priced, its amazingly simple, repeatable and self calibrating. Mention me and you will get a discount

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/10/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
2 bricks, 2 lengths of steel box section, a tape measure. If wood was available straight that will do rather than steel box....
I use 800mm lengths, needs to be longer than the tyres at brick height. Think they were part of a steel-framed skool table.

MK9R

posted on 3/10/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Used the string box, straight edges, rulers, cheap lasers, etc, but the trackace beats them hands down for repetability and ease of use, and its more accurate. All for the sake of £70 just buy the trackace if you are serious about doing your alignment. Happy to demonsstrate the kit if you com to a race day or my house.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 3/10/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Gunsons trackrite, which you drive over to get a reading. Seems to work perfectly and cost about £40.

Stu

austin man

posted on 3/10/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used a tape measure s couple of blocks of wood and a laser spirit level car drives as straight as a die no noticeable tyre wear, self centres.

centre the wheels, place block of wood up to wheel tread mark a set distance fom the block of wood (both wheels) do the same to the rear of the wheels then place the laser level oflat to the rim of the wheel you may need to make a small spacer to clear the wheel. Then mark on the line where the laser hits it both front and rear of the wheel. Measure the distance between the two then start to adjust the track rod in or out to suit

Hope that makes sense

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Nickp

posted on 4/10/12 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
For 4 wheel alignment I use 4 axle stands (or similar), fine nylon string, tape measure, steel rule.

Put the 4 stands at the corners of car and put the string either side running front to rear level with the hub centres.
The string now needs to be set parallel to the car using the distance to wheel centre as a reference. Differences in axle widths should be allowed for by measuring with a tape measure front and rear so the string is parallel and close to the wheels without touching anywhere. You can then use the steel rule (or tape measure) to check the tracking on all 4 wheels and make adjustments without touching string.

I then use my 'old school' Dunlop tracking gauge to check the front and rear independantely against the 'string' results, which is always fine

BTW - There was a proper guide by Ralph Hoosier for doing this in Practical Classics a while back.

couch22k

posted on 4/10/12 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
There's a guy on here who does it in Sheffield (barraw).

Think he was charging £40 for the set up. Linky

Steve

Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/10/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Same as MK9R, I have one of those too and find it really easy to use. Seems to work for my Locost anyhow.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Nickp

posted on 4/10/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by couch22k
There's a guy on here who does it in Sheffield (barraw).

Think he was charging £40 for the set up. Linky

Steve

That is good!! It's Donny not Sheffield, but near enough

phelpsa

posted on 4/10/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
String box.

barraw

posted on 9/10/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I'm around most Saturdays and Sunday. I was setup at Blyton Park track last weekend in the hanger setting up the 4-wheel laser alignment and corner weighting.

It's an ideal situation because people can try out different settings, like a bit more toe or camber, do a few laps then get me to make a few tweaks. It went really well.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bumpy

posted on 10/10/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
If a Sierra front axle is grafted on a kit car do all the doner alignment figures still apply?
coyoteboy

posted on 10/10/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone compared the trackrite/trackace etc sort of things against a proper 4 wheel alignment? I wasn't happy with the feeling of my tintop after two consecutive trackings being done (and I watched the guys and couldn't see a fault with their method) but when it went on the 4 wheel rig they showed me the front end was notably different to the readout from the other two, and it fixed it. I've been considering buying something similar myself but wasn't sure of the accuracy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.