Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: giving a book
mookaloid

posted on 27/6/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
giving a book

Tricky problem:

I have a friend who says he never reads books. He says he isn't interested in reading

I read all the time and could not live without books. I like both fiction (escapism for me ) and non fiction if there's an interesting story in there.

I would like to give him a book that if he does read it, will make him say 'ok I get what you are on about' and maybe he'll pick up another and acquire a taste for it.

So what could I give him?

Cheers

M

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

slingshot2000

posted on 27/6/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
What are his interests/passions ?
twybrow

posted on 27/6/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
What about a magazine subscription on a topic/theme he likes? I know it isn't a book, but it might be an easier/softer way to get him reading!

As a rule, I never read fiction (life is too short for make believe - I want facts!), but my Mrs recently persuaded me to read Pompeii by Robert Harris - it was brilliant! It reads like a non-fiction, and I couldn't put it down.

blakep82

posted on 27/6/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
How old is he?

As in, Is he old enough to decide for himself whether he wants to read books or not?
Last time I read a book must have been 5th year at school, so 1999? Was for the book report in english, got to about 20 pages before the end, thought 'bugger it, ive read enough to write about it'
I'm fine with that. I can read, it just doesnt interest me, whats wrong with that?
In the mean time, let me push the benefits of scientology on you, I think you should like it, regardless of if you actually want to or not

I don't do scientology btw!

You should only persuade him to start reading, only if you're as prepared to give up books if he tells you that you should imo

[Edited on 27/6/13 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/6/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I don't read, I'd rather browse the internet or watch TV, if I want a 'story' I'll watch a film The last book I really read was back in school, probably over 30 years ago. I've tried reading books, but I never get more than a few pages in.

My brother on the other hand reads everything and watches little TV.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brian R

posted on 27/6/13 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Try him with an auto biography of his favourite celebrity, sports person or rockstar etc. Quite interesting reads sometimes.
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/13 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh it's a very personal thing, my wife has read literally hundreds of novels. I have read only a handful my whole life (the Rama trilogy, Mort snd Stratus) but have masses of sience and technical reference books plus manuals for everything from cars to spacecraft, these days I spend ages on wiki.

Everyone is different and you can't judge others by what your preference is. Each to their own as my wife says.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 28/6/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't waste your money.
If your friend has admitted not being into reading, then they aren't going to change their habit just from being given one book.

I read a lot. My favourite shop in town is a 2nd hand book shop. My wife bought me a Kindle for Christmas. I've read one book on it. Real books are way better.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

balidey

posted on 28/6/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've changed my mind.
How about giving him this one:
book

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

dhutch

posted on 28/6/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, and was talking about this recently, I also don't really read.

I used to read a lot at high school, I was weekly boarding, no computer access of an evening, and not a lot of anything else to do. I then left school and went to 6th from at a non-boarding school and found computer games, well actually, just unreal tournament, and played that a lot for two years. Then I went to Uni and pubs and nightclubs.... ...now I work till 8 and just go to bed in the evening!

I have read some books , but about one every other year or so.
- How to build a kitcar for 250quid (obviously)
- Half of a world accoding to Clarkson (a gift)
- Haynes Roadster (through i ort to)
- Losing my Virginity and Screw it lets do it - Richard Branson (for an essay, but also interest)
- Haynes guide to sports car suspension (mix bag, if im honest)
I have also re-read Life in a Loco works, which I first read with my parents as a child.

In the pending list if have
- Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down (dads recommendation, repeated yearly from the age of 15)
- Conquering the Chaos: Win in India, Win Everywhere (gift from the indian MD during my time out here)

I do however also read alot on the internet, forums etc. I dont watch TV.

Life in a loco works is a cracking insight into engineering/workshop practices at the end of the steam era, written by one of the last, and brighter, apprentices of crewe works. Hard to get a copy however.

Daniel

[Edited on 28/6/2013 by dhutch]

James

posted on 28/6/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

So what could I give him?

Cheers

M

War and Peace, that'll get him into it!

What else is he into? Maybe get something related so it's actually interesting for other reasons too.

Terry Pratchetts are pretty good. And lots of choice for further reading (there's about 25-30 books in the Discworld series alone!).

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JoelP

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I love reading, but them im a bit of a geek for sci-fi/fantasy books. I have multiple copies of some books from different print runs! But i can accept that some people just dont like it, and i dont think it would be easy to convince them.

Your best bet would be to pick something that he likes. I recently read a good book called 'dirty deeds done cheap' about a private military contractor in iraq, which im sure would appeal to anyone remotely interested in the army. Its non fiction, eye opening, and features a whole bunch of bad-ass mother f***********.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 30/6/13 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
The Art of War by Sun Tzu or Papillon by Henry Charriere

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.