Contributor

Posts 942
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 24/10/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Tank - Flow & Return

My Indy is running what looks like a plastic fuel tank.
The "flow" pickup from the tank has a rubber bung in the top of the tank.

Description
Description

Now I've gone Zetec, I need to put a "return" back into the tank.

I guess I have the following options.

1. Pop out the rubber bung and get a different bung with a flow and return.
2. Cut another bung for the return into the tank
3. Buy a new tank.

I don't want to block off the return at the engine end so I only have a single fuel line out of the tank.

The current fuel line "flow" out of the tank spins around when you twist it so it's not sealed in. This could explain why there is some fluid around the rubber bung. Also, the rubber bung may be old and brittle.

Which way shall I go?

Jon Ison

posted on 24/10/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
if it was me, (its not) I would shell out for a new tank (aluminium) with the inlets and outlets I required, the plastic tanks have a bit of a reputation and for the relatively inexpensive cost of a new tank I would go that way for both safety and peace of mind.
FuryRebuild

posted on 24/10/13 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
if it was me, (its not) I would shell out for a new tank (aluminium) with the inlets and outlets I required, the plastic tanks have a bit of a reputation and for the relatively inexpensive cost of a new tank I would go that way for both safety and peace of mind.

+1. Also, fuel injected tanks may run positive pressure, so that rubber bung may not be man enough.

I'm not going ally, but carbon fibre for mine

Regards
Mark

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

owelly

posted on 24/10/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you're sticking with the plastic tank, pop out the rubber doofer, drill another hole next to it, fit a tank fitting for the return accessing the inner nut through the rubber bung hole, then reassemble. Personally, I'd fit a swirl pot and pump from a Golf GTi to remove any high pressures from the plastic tank and also combat any fuel surge issues.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 24/10/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
quote:

+1. Also, fuel injected tanks may run positive pressure, so that rubber bung may not be man enough.

Regards
Mark

You'd have a CF windscreen if you could!

scudderfish

posted on 24/10/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I put a piece of 8mm (I think) copper pipe through the fitting for the fuel sender on mine. However mine is a steel tank to start off with (MG Midget, in name and capacity)
prawnabie

posted on 24/10/13 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you decide to go for a new tank and he is still doing them, contact welderman on here, he is the best by far I have seen and his pricing is very reasonable.

Shaun

MikeRJ

posted on 24/10/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Regards
Mark

Isn't carbon a bit brittle for a fuel tank? One good whack and your fuel will be on the ground.

FuryRebuild

posted on 24/10/13 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
quote:

Regards
Mark

You'd have a CF windscreen if you could!

Ha! yes. And if I can't have that, then transparent aluminium ...

M

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

FuryRebuild

posted on 24/10/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

Regards
Mark

Isn't carbon a bit brittle for a fuel tank? One good whack and your fuel will be on the ground.

Hi Mike

Good question, and I have remediation for that. Firstly, there will be a couple of layers of 200gsm e-glass in there with the carbon to allow for a little flex, the ground-facing part of the tank will be 2 extra layers of 350gsm aramid. it'll be internally strengthened with the slats needed to gate it.

Bomb-proof I reckon.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

britishtrident

posted on 24/10/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
The pressure in a fuel injected tank is no different from a tank for a carb engine, it all depends on the venting arrangement.

Plastic tanks tended to fail not long after they were installed if the plastic tank has survived this long it should continue to be fine.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.