Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch Hub Keeps Snapping !!!
RaveyDaveyDave

posted on 10/6/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch Hub Keeps Snapping !!!

Hi Guys,
Long time lurker on here, used the forum loads to get answers to questions Ive had.

Im baffled as to my latest problem though, this is the second clutch hub that has snapped on the car, can anyone shed any light on it for me please?
Description
Description

MK Indy R
Yamaha R1 2008 (4c8)

daviep

posted on 10/6/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps more details of your clutch setup such as type of springs, type of actuator, any lock up fitted, how is clutch travel set?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

RaveyDaveyDave

posted on 10/6/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Davie,

Thanks for the fast reply.

The clutch is using new oem frictions and steels, only covered max 200 miles.
Have changed the springs to the Barnett heavy duty ones to give the pedal more 'feel', as the oem ones felt very vague.
The clutch is set using the original threaded bolt nut assembly attached to the clutch housing via cable direct to the pedal if that's what your referring to?

I have had loads grief with the clutch hubs snapping as per the photo, this is my second in quick succesion. Have had to split open the engine casing as the car couldn't engage 5th and up recently and have found that the selector fork has sheared off. Is that common in this set up also?

I am having to replace the gear box at present as with the selector fork snapping, the dogs and gears are now a mess too.

This is the second time that I have had a hub snap inside the clutch assembly and was wondering if there was anyone who has come across this before. Have I got something set up wrong somewhere?

I will gladly give anymore information to that anyone can help, just try and keep it in layman's terms as to what you mean!!!

Clutch felt good until this, just enough slack in cable and nice biting point.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful........

ReMan

posted on 10/6/14 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've had 2 worn out, from my 20 year old Fireblade engine and the central boss gets loose in the casting, but to break them like yours is pretty unusual I think.
I don't see how, even if the clutch was badly set up (though your description does not suggest it) that can happen other than abuse or fatigue
Are you doing drag starts with slicks?!!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 10/6/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can't comment on cause but I've never seen or heard of that before. Very strange you should have had more than one. Couldn't be caused by the gearbox issue could it?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RaveyDaveyDave

posted on 11/6/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again guys, got an update on the problem after talking to the 'guru' that is Andy @ AB Performance and Jonny @ Nuttsmoto who does some engine work for me.
It seems that whilst pushing the clutch pedal down changing gear etc, that my pedal has too much travel in so far as I can push it right to the bulkhead. Without a clutch stop on the bulkhead to retain it from traveling to far, I seem to be compressing the springs (which have been up rated to Barnett ones) too much causing too much strain on the hub boss assembly making it fail. This strain in turn seems to be pulling on the gears shaft making the whole thing shift across right, hence the selector fork snapping due to it all being slightly out of line!
So for anyone else on here, for the price of a bolt, a couple of nuts and a few minutes drilling, this could seemingly all been avoided!
Now facing a fairly large bill for repairing it all. Not to mention the downtime now that the weather is being kind.

If anyone has or knows somebody that has a clutch hub boss for a Yamaha R1 4c8 that is surplus to their requirements, could they please message me??

Thanks for the help guys

Until the next gremlin..........

David

daviep

posted on 11/6/14 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you have a result, this was exactly what was going through my mind when I asked how travel was set.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.