Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turning up late for the IVA
Crispy

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Turning up late for the IVA

... don't do it.

Based on experience gained yesterday it's not a good idea to arrive late. Give yourself plenty of time even if this means that if everything goes your way you'll end up sitting in the test centre car park hours before your allotted test.

Not going to go into the whys or wherefores, or even attempt to come up with an excuse, but I arrived with my car on a hired trailer at 08:15 yesterday for a test that was booked for 08:00 and subsequently got turned away. At £450 + the trailer hire cost + fuel + time booked off work that was an expensive lesson to learn. The only good that might come of it is that others might learn something from my mistake.

CosKev3

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch
jacko

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Harsh but thats how Vosa work
as you say get there on time
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Harsh for 15 mins. Considering they usually don't start straight away.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

jacko

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The tester must have got out the wrong side of the bed
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 28/6/17 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Id be disgusted if that was me. Anything in paperwork about keeping times?

Mistral Motorsport

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/6/17 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
That's not right did you try contacting them to let them know you would be late 15 mins due to traffic issues shouldn't be unreasonable I would complain to vosa .
owelly

posted on 28/6/17 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
That's sh1t!
If anything, I'd expect them to start the test even if they didn't finish it in time so had to abort it. I guess the tester wanted to put his feet up with a brew for a couple of hours....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

nick205

posted on 28/6/17 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a harsh lesson to me!

I did the SVA test some years back and although I was there ready and waiting the test started 20 mins later than the allotted start time.

Worth asking if you get a reduced rate for the next test - both you and they have already done the paperwork.

Crispy

posted on 28/6/17 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
In the DVSA's Test Booking Conditions it does say-

On the day of the test you must ensure that:

... The driver and vehicle arrive punctually and follow the instructions of testing staff.

So I failed to do this by arriving 15 minutes late, but I did follow instructions well enough and left once told to.

If there's a delay to them starting the test after I've re-booked it I'm probably going to be ever so slightly annoyed. Even if it starts on time (I'll be sure to turn up early) how the hell do I go about building up any kind of rapport with the tester? I'll just have to hope that he appreciates one word answers and a lot of mumblings under my breath.

loggyboy

posted on 28/6/17 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy

... The driver and vehicle arrive punctually and follow the instructions of testing staff.

So I failed to do this by arriving 15 minutes late, but I did follow instructions well enough and left once told to.

If there's a delay to them starting the test after I've re-booked it I'm probably going to be ever so slightly annoyed. Even if it starts on time (I'll be sure to turn up early) how the hell do I go about building up any kind of rapport with the tester? I'll just have to hope that he appreciates one word answers and a lot of mumblings under my breath.

Keep it under your collar until the end. If it does start late make a note of when and complain in writing claiming the small delay in your arrival would have had little effect on a multi hour test. And the delay you received was the same/larger and you would expect a refund of the retest fee?

Mistral Motorsport

benchmark51

posted on 28/6/17 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I remember years ago I had to apply for a visa at the Afgan embassy in Mashad, Iran. I was told to arrive at 8 a.m., however I had to find the place and got there 3 minutes late. I got turned away and had to go back next morning and be there before 8 a.m. I just put it down to a bunch of shits ind a shitty place, never thought we would descend to that level here though. What's wrong with a little leeway? Use to be called give and take!
russbost

posted on 28/6/17 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Which test centre was this?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Crispy

posted on 28/6/17 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Kidderminster.
ianhurley20

posted on 28/6/17 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the center I suppose. We got held up by traffic after an accident - you do not have a phone number to ring the center as they will not give you one - so we arrived 15 mins late. Apologised. The tester got us a coffee and the test began without incident!
I really don't see what the problem was. If you ran out of time at the end (unlikely) then they could ask you to come back but as the test is supposed to take 5 hours you are unlikely to run out. I do wonder what the tester did with his 4.75 hours of nothing.

Paper hat if you ask me!

zx12r dug

posted on 28/6/17 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
What a bunch of A Holes i think all five cars I've tested never started on time hope all goes well on your return
Jamesc

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if Ian is talking about his test at Norwich or mine (He helped me big time and came with me)

But as he says, the tester literally said to us "Got caught out by the traffic did you? Never mind, is tea or coffee for you?". That was a massive weight of my shoulders as I hate being late to anything, especially when the instructions say don't be late!

But as said, although technically well within their right, it's super harsh and a little pathetic. Has anyone actually had a test take the full time? Even with being late, we had almost an hour spare at the end.

Jamesc

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Edit: Double post.

[Edited on 28/6/17 by Jamesc]

bi22le

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Wow.

I have not had to IVA a car yet but if I was an honest 15 mins late with a valid reason beyond my control I would expect the test to start, and take no other answer.

If it didnt, I would of sat outside spending the next hour writing the complaint and getting the details of his manager.

What an idiot.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

CosKev3

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

From what people have said if you go there with that attitude you will be coming away with a fail!

I would be on the phone to VOSA about them turning you away and just explain the issues you had en-route and explain the fact the tests never take the full five hours going by other people's experiences.

You might have to book elsewhere for your next test though if VOSA contact Kidderminster would be the downside!

What was said between you and the tester when you arrived?

sdh2903

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
That's shocking. Both my ivas have started with a brew and a general chat about the car. Actual testing didn't start til 830. The last one was over within 3 hours.

Id definitely be onto dvsa and explain the circumstances. It's a lot of money to lose.

Jamesc

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

From what people have said if you go there with that attitude you will be coming away with a fail!

I would be on the phone to VOSA about them turning you away and just explain the issues you had en-route and explain the fact the tests never take the full five hours going by other people's experiences.

You might have to book elsewhere for your next test though if VOSA contact Kidderminster would be the downside!

If you take it elsewhere, do you have to pay the full £450 again? Surely if you re-book, then you'll only be charged £90 at Kidderminster?

CosKev3

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
quote:
quote:

If you take it elsewhere, do you have to pay the full £450 again? Surely if you re-book, then you'll only be charged £90 at Kidderminster?

It's not a retest though?

From what the OP posted to start with he's lost the test fee?

I wouldn't think the £90 retest slots are 5 hours long like a first test?

[Edited on 28/6/17 by CosKev3]

Jamesc

posted on 28/6/17 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
quote:
quote:

It's not a retest though?

From what the OP posted to start with he's lost the test fee?

I wouldn't think the £90 retest slots are 5 hours long like a first test?

[Edited on 28/6/17 by CosKev3]

Oh yeah, you're right actually... I remember the tester saying that they do full tests in the morning and retests when they can fit it in...

That would make the situation even more ridiculous to be honest, I really do feel for you mate.

Ianboom

posted on 29/6/17 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have my test at Kidderminster next Wednesday at 8....Gulp!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.