Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: test
shaywez

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
test

Well i finally got around to sending off my SVA application today, then i rang the test centre in Exeter and the person i spoke with was really helpfull. Test should be ok for Feb 28th so i suppose i should pull my finger out now and sort the finishing touches eh!! Any advice anybody on the nitty gritty, much appreciated
flak monkey

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Take that bit of string off holding yer exhaust on in your avatar

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
And cover your boot

and fit a bonnet. Good luck. Put us a couple of pictures of the finished article in your archive.

[Edited on 31/1/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
the obvious fails are sharp edges. youy need to really go over the top on these - and it needs to look perminant, not lagging and tie-wraps.

then visability in the mirrors,viewing angles on lights etc.

super important, is get the name of the tester and make sure that he does you retest (theres no shame in failing, most do) cos if its a different tester they might fail you on something else! which would be VERY annoying.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's also REALLY worth taking some time to make the car look good - nice, clean and shiny. Tart it up nicely, as the tester's first impressions count a lot.
Show him a smart car and he won't give it half as much attention as a scruffy, shabby piece of work - or he'll be a bit more forgiving, anyway.

Don't worry - it's not as bad as you think it's going to be!

Good luck,

David
P.S. I put a brief SVA page on my website - follow the link below and look through the menus.

Bananaman

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
From my experience at Exeter last year the 2 testers are really good. They will give you time at the end of the test to fix any minor issues. They do not get upset either when you question their decisions. They will go out of their way to help. Mine had a leaky main seal and they only ran the engine the bear minimum. Take plenty of edging material. Also make sure that your wiring terminals are the insulated type.

Good luck.

Cheers
Michael

barrie sharp

posted on 1/2/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I Will second what banaman says we had our test at the same time .they are very helpful before the test if you ring them with a problem.
my advice is dont be late my tester told me that was his pet hate when they turn up just in time and then spend 20 mins unloading from trailers etc..
They do like all wires well supported and cable tied up and not rubbing on other things so take care!
Take all your documents to regester your car because the dvla place is just around the corner, how easy is that!!
Good luck with it
Barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

Lightning

posted on 1/2/05 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Byron is the guy at Exeter and he is very enthusiastic about kits. He will pass it if he can. If you have any problems phone him up and he will put you right, He likes to see that people have made the effort. If it fails (like mine did) he will undoubtedly tell you exactly what you need do.

Mine failed on not having a collapsible boss. Indicators too far in, and emmisions.

His favorate fails are no symbol on the Brake indicator light on the dash ie: (O)
and not supporting the fuel filter.

Keep your rear mirrors high to see over the rear wheel arches.

I actually enjoyed the day ....so don't worry!

Steve

shaywez

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
test

Thanks for all the advice so far gents as it is all good stuff and much appreciated, cheers
Snuggs

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
ford calipers

Hi

If you are using Ford calipers and banjo type connectors then you must ensure that the surface arund the hole is machined flat. Also you may need to prove to the tester that the hole is not tapered. A good photo should be OK

Clive

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

shaywez

posted on 2/2/05 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
cat

I dont require a cat as the engine was manufactured before Aug 1995

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.