Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Turbo
Bananaman

posted on 2/2/05 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Turbo

Has anyone know of anyone that's stuck a turbo on a Pinto, and if so what was it like?

Cheers
Michael

Avoneer

posted on 2/2/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Why???

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/2/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman
Has anyone know of anyone that's stuck a turbo on a Pinto, and if so what was it like?

Cheers
Michael

Yes they have Mr Kieth Costin and a Mr Duckworth have tried it. With relitive sucess.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/2/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
thought it was mike costin and keith duckworth?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ayoungman

posted on 2/2/05 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
whats in a name

No, it was mike duckworh and keith costin,

or was it jack and vera duckworh !

[Edited on 2/2/05 by ayoungman]

"just like that !"

DavidM

posted on 2/2/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Mike Costin and Keith Duckworth.

Definitely.

atb. Daivd

Jon Ison

posted on 2/2/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Why???

Cos he wants too, never done it myself, seen it done though on an autograss class 10 car, went very well but suffer'd from lag, prob not so much a prob on the road. Yup there are ways to overcome lag but most are at a cost.

[Edited on 2/2/05 by Jon Ison]

britishtrident

posted on 2/2/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman

Cheers
Michael

A better class of boat anchor

Rob Allison

posted on 3/2/05 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. A m8 of mine has an RS2000 mk2 with one on. Its a Turbo Technics kit running a Turbo from an RS turbo.
Its fast .
So I'm doing the same. Built the exhaust manifold and cut a deck plate to reduce the compression. Runnigng the Ford EECiv injection for now until i get a MSnS ecu.
manifold

Deck plate

And the turbo fitted on my RS2000

I'm using a Cossie T3 from a 2wd.

DarrenW

posted on 3/2/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Theres a pinto turbo conversion type jobby on ebay at the moment. for some reason the guys not taking bids at present (unless you want to pay £1000 postage)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21654&item=4524384529&rd=1

Volvorsport

posted on 3/2/05 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
why not fit a Volvo turbo ? its actually a better engine to boot , and comes with all the hardware . ive just gotten myself a forged penta crank (2500cc) , a new cam and headwork with applicable turbo will see 350 hp reliably all day . Ive got MSnS extra to run water injection , so i wont need such a big intercooler , oh i cant wait to drop it in me chassis !!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

DaveFJ

posted on 3/2/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
have a look here

link

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Bananaman

posted on 3/2/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, even the crap ones, they make for fun reading.

Why do I want to fit a turbo to a pinto? To make it faster. It it's a cheap enough option then it will be cheaper than building a new engine. Anyway, what have Volvo got to do with Pintos. The chap who said it would make a better anchor, what engine do you run?

I have an abundance of pintos and parts so that will be my engine for the forseeable future.

Big cheers
Michael

Volvorsport

posted on 3/2/05 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
well , ok , you got me there , nothing , which is the point its a better engine , and comes with turbo std , and if youve bought a car cheap all the other stuff aswell , that you dont have to fab . Anyway good luck , there was a 2 litre pinto turbocharged ages ago in CCC , he worked the CC , better headgasket , hi spec valves etc . you can ceramic coat for cheap on ok valves , and make them last longer , if you get it done , well have a 1/4 mile shall we , see what we can do .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Bananaman

posted on 3/2/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo

If I ever get it done then you'd probably have me every time on performance. There is always someone with bigger faster, better handling etc. I never said it would be the fastest engine in the world, I just said that i wanted to make my current engine faster.

I agree with what you say, you can buy a cheap car fitted with a turbo and more BHP as standard. Maybe that is the way to go, i'm just looking at the possibilities. Is it an easy job to fit a Volvo turbo into a se7en?

Cheers
Michael

Dale

posted on 3/2/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
2 things to worry about-- first and formost get the compression ration down to basically as low as you can 8.0 to 1 is good. Make sure the turbo is good for draw through if thats the way your going--so the fuel wont wreck your turbo. And you need lots of fuel - bigger pump or lines Because if it gets lean it goes bang.
I am running a factory turbocharged engine thats quite similar compared to the pinto. 2.3lt and Very durable. I dont see why you could not get 200 ponies out of a blown pinto.
Dale

Bananaman

posted on 3/2/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dale, 200 ponies sounds good enough to me. Won't get close to Volvo over a quarter mile, maybe 30 yards.

Cheers
Michael

Volvorsport

posted on 3/2/05 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
volvo engine and box do fit , im doing it at the moment , you have the same problems as pinto , tall engine etc .

id hope to see 200 hp for all the trouble its worth, that CCC feature car had 260 i think . The T3 Turbo , will just be running out of puff then , the cossie one has a 3inch outlet , so its best you go for that , maybe a super 60 trim on the compressor side , and it would be very driveable indeed . A volvo motor with std but chipped ecu can reach about 220 hp, there 180 hp std ( B230ET) , 250 hp is easy if you MS it woith bigger injectors , but if youre going carbs ie twin 40s box em in so that they see boost pressure all the time . if draw through a 2 inch su fits nicely to the turbo , and can be quite tuneable by filing the needle etc .

If youre hoping for reliability get it setup properly since any ping with boost may well split pistons in half etc , and should consider water injection to help .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Rob Allison

posted on 3/2/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Michael, You might think you got crap in this post. I've been getting worse on other boards on the web.
I am keen to get my pinto running well with the turbo on to prove it 100% ok todo .
I have been rail roaded for using 2 head gaskets and the deck plate to reduce the compression again its my car. And if it was good enough for opel with the manta its good enough for me. My m8 runs his with the deck plate and that puts out about 280bhp . Although i will confess that fitting a deck plate is a cheap and crude fix and not a long term thing.

Back to the turbo idea. Fitting Transit pistons is the next cheapest option. They reduce the CR to 8.2:1 ideal for the turbo. and good enough for about 200 to 240 bhp. They will last for a year or so before they need changing, As the ring landings start to crack. Best thing is to fit Cossie or forged pistons, job done.
Arp rod bolts are a must though to stop the big end cap comming off

I am going to do a writeup on what is needed to do the conversion soon.

Bananaman

posted on 4/2/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers boys, lots of sense at last.

It's only in the think about stage at the moment, but it might be my cheapest option for a fairly decent power gain.

Look forward to your write up Rob.

Cheers
Michael

timf

posted on 4/2/05 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
when the cosworth head was being developed of the cossie i was working at ford rnd and we built a turbo pinto using several standard parts ,transit pistons,
1.8 diesel rods machined to fit opened up combustion chamber and we saw 300 bhp quite easily. the only magor thing we had to do was to wire ring the block to prevent head gasket failure

Bananaman

posted on 4/2/05 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Uhmn, it sound better and better,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.