Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti roll bar - is one needed?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 3/4/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Anti roll bar - is one needed?

I noticed at the Detling kit car show that MK are doing an anti-roll bar kit for £100. I have often wondered why they are not on most 7 type cars and would appreciate feedback on their suitability, I'm building a Luego Velocity XT, should I go for one?
smart51

posted on 3/4/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
anti-roll bars are just one way of containing body roll. others are making you car low to the ground & reducing centre of gravity (locost), making a car with a wide track (sierra based locost), designing your suspension to give apropriate roll centred (locost), making your car light - it reduces roll moment (locost), making your suspension stiffer (locost).

ordinary cars use roll bars so that they can keep soft suspension and because tall cars are fashonable.

roll bars have a disadvantage in terms of handling. when the car is not rolling then the roll bar is untensioned. as the car rolls into a corner it loads up. if you are in an S bend, the roll bar will lighten up as you steer out of the 1st bend, will go light as the car goes through the vertical and then will load up as the car enters the 2nd bend. there is a point in the middle where the roll bar is not under tension and this can lead to a step change in the car's handling, momentarily.

real sports cars can be made to handle better (more predicatably) without them.

Avoneer

posted on 3/4/05 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Why bother on a locost?
Do you get lots of roll when flying around a track?
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 3/4/05 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
The rear of your Avon does

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 3/4/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
That's 'cause you were weighing one side down!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

kiwirex

posted on 4/4/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Second hand opinion:

One of the guys at the sports car club added an anti-roll bar to his commercial 7-clone (one of 14 made in Christchurch, I think, which I could remember the name).

Phil reckoned it made it heaps smoother "through the esses" at Pukekohe.
(Whatever that means).

He was pretty stoked with the change in handling.

- Greg H

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.