Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wide wheels
pathfinder

posted on 30/6/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
wide wheels

I have been looking at 7 type cars for a while and notice that most people are using road derived 7” wheels and tyres. is this purely for cost reasons?
I have also seen a few hill climbers using 10.5” and 8.5” wheels, does the extra rubber make any difference on a 7?

Opinions on the web seem to vary greatly on the subject of increasing tyre width, some are for and some are against, please discuss!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 30/6/05 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find that people use even narrower tyres than 7", particularly at the front. The problem with wider tyres is that with such a light car, once you get a bit of rain the car will aquaplane very easily. I think you'd be better off sticking to narrower tyres, this will give a better car overall.

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 30/6/05 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
im using 7" wide 15" dia wheels purely cos they were there. i dont intend going any wider than 195 tyres. If poss i would have gone narrower on the wheels. 13" wheels with 185 rubber seem to be popular.

JonBowden

posted on 30/6/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any arguement for choosing narrow high profile tyres - say 165 70
Would this give better (or more enjoyable) handling at the expense of less grip ?

Jon

pathfinder

posted on 30/6/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote

. Rescued attachment 1.JPG
Rescued attachment 1.JPG

gazza285

posted on 30/6/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Who cares about the wheels, I want that BDA.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jeffers_S13

posted on 30/6/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think its mostly for cosmetic reasons that people go for wide wheels, have a look at the RCB77 website for some extreme wide tyres
Liam

posted on 30/6/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you only plan to race the thing on nice smooth tracks and always in the dry, the wider the better! Ain't some guy on here using formula 1 wheels and tyres?

I'll stick with me 195/50 15s

Liam

JoelP

posted on 30/6/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
mine has 13x5.5 at the front, 7 at the rear with 205 tyres. Thats more than enough grip for a 1.6 pinto!

Its the age old debate about how the car breaks away when it runs out of grip. Make your own mind up!

smart51

posted on 30/6/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
low profile tyres give better tyre control - they twist, stretch and roll less. This gives better turn in adn better response to small steering movements.

High profile tyres are more quashy and give a better ride.

Both tyres (for the same width and rolling circumference) give the same amount of "grip" because they have the same area of rubber touching the road.

I am told that high profile tyres loose their grip progressivley and very low profile tyres hold on longer but then let go more quickly.

Grintch

posted on 1/7/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on the planned use of the car. My U.S. autocross car uses 8" front and 10" rear tires (slicks) and still has a good bit of overstear (190hp & 1250lb). I have played with the idea of going up to Formula Atlantic sized tires, 9" front and 14" rear, but for autocrossing a narrow car is generally better (to fit between the cones).
David Jenkins

posted on 1/7/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have 13" x 5.5" wheels with 185/70 tyres. Smooth ride, and an easy and predictable tail slide when I get silly/careless.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.