Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Booked 17/11/05 - NOW WITH PICS
jos

posted on 7/11/05 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Booked 17/11/05 - NOW WITH PICS

Well Ive only gone and done it, booked the SVA

I will be at Shrewsbury SVA centre at 0800 in the morning of 17/11/05 quivering with fear.

[Edited on 14/11/05 by jos]

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

pajsh

posted on 7/11/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck mate.

There pretty sound blokes really so no worries.

I was really uptight due to my wifes sister having died two days earlier from cancer at 44 so it was a grim day.

Looking back if I'd been in a better frame of mind I would have enjoyed it more.

And if I'd started from scratch and know about LB earlier on it would have saved me alot of fails.

Live & learn.

ATB

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

mac1ZR

posted on 7/11/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck Jos
jos

posted on 12/11/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would very much appreciate everybodies opinions on improvements to get through SVA.

DarrenW

posted on 14/11/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good Jos. Cant see anything obvious.

What did you use on the shocker height adjuster nut?
Headlight glass securing screw - how did you get the nut cover to stay on?

A couple of things that i know Gosforth are hot on,
1. battery lead security and no exposed conductors. Your -ve lead looked a bit loose.
2. Bonnet trim security - i have to glue mine on (crazy i know but easy to do).
3. Exhaust clamp bolt - have you cut yours down? (shortened it?).

Someone failed recently using those rear reflectors iirc. I guess you have another pair ready just in case.

Ive been putting my stickers on - car is starting to look well smart.

Q not SVA related - throttle pedal. How did you get yours to stay in the rest position? Previously i could only get mine to rest in one position by tightening the banjo fitting to the pedal. This will lead to early breakage as these fittings have to be left loose. I have just had to weld a strap across the top of the pedal brackets with a bolt thro' which now operates as an adjustable postion stop. It works great but took some sussing out. What have you done?
Also how did you secure the other end of throttle cable to the carb sphere jobby thing. Does it have a metal clip? Mine doesnt so ive been messing with cable ties but they are very professional.

Peteff

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
How high is the bottom of your rear fog lamp from the floor? Also is your numberplate light shining upwards? It may fill up with water if it gets rained on and could be commented on.

[Edited on 14/11/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jos

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
On the adjustable platform Ive used a length of hose with a zip tie through the middle, I'm going to redo them as I want some larger diameter hose. Thanks for reminding me.

You can very carefully cut a t section out of an M12 nut cover so that it grips to the hollow behind the headlight bolt head using cable cutters/pliers.

I'll look into battery leads, thanks.

Ive rotated the exhaust clamp so that it is below the theoretical floor line - therefore un-testable.

I will buy some other reflectors although Mark is primed to argue the toss if they say anthing as there is nothing in the manual regarding reflector size.

All Ive done on my throttle pedal is tightened the pivot bar so that its just tight enough, thats all.

On the other end of the throttle cable Ive got a tear drop shaped bit and looped the throttle cable over it securing it using 2 mini cable clamps similar to those used on the handbrake, and made it tight enough to not fall off, and as its spring loaded it wont fall off during driving, at least it didnt fall off when I was mucking around driving this weekend attempting donuts.

Yes, i know I shouldnt be doing them as the engines only got 2 miles on it since rebuild but I kept below 4k revs and only managed a half donut.

andytmc

posted on 14/11/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jos

Good luck with the SVA, it looked pretty good to me - hope it doesn't rain on the day!

I'll be round for a ride when you've passed

Andy

jos

posted on 14/11/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked the fog light and its 300mm off the ground

Peteff

posted on 14/11/05 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
That's o.k. then.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hornet

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
very nice looking car!!!

What height front indicators of floor?
O and your bonnet clamps are upside down (wont fail SVA for that though)

cheers John

jos

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ha, are they.

Quote "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because youre all the same".

If one of the latches does let go whos latches are more likely to remain connected, mine or yours. Wont yours just fall open, aided by gravity??

jos

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
What height should they be and I'll check this evening

Hornet

posted on 15/11/05 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi dude

Indicators need to be a min 350mm from the floor to the bottom of the lens.

And the manufacturers of the clamps must have it wrong for all these years.
It seems you are right..... NOT

Cheers John

jos

posted on 15/11/05 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yup just wound my struts up and inch to raise them and will pump up tyre pressures as an added bonus as they were at 325ish

I didnt see any right or wrong way on the instructions for the bonnet clamps. Could you show me them please.

Hornet

posted on 16/11/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
hi m8.. Remember adjusting ur shocks up that much will transfer a lot of weight onto the front wheels. You may find that your rear wheels will lock up too easy under braking.
Best you set ur corner weights and move the indicators if they are still a problem.

Cheers J

jos

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well the time came to strtup and travel to SVA and an hour later hafl anf hour after the test was due to start I was still trying to get her started with no luck.

Got to pay the £150 again and can claim back £100 for rescheduling.

Just got to get the thing running, ticking over & emissions sorted.

MAC#1 here i come

David Jenkins

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
What a PITA!

That happened to me on my first SVA attempt - except I managed to get within a mile of the test centre... on the 2nd attempt I hired a trailer, just in case.

Better luck next time.

rgds,
David

jos

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think I might look into that also but I want to make sure the emissions will pass before rescheduling.

One good note is that if it DOES drag on I could register it in 2006 rather than 2005, getting a year younger car...........

DarrenW

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
So what do you think has happened Jos? If it was running ok yesterday to get MOT and you were able to do donuts on Sat there cant be much wrong.

Is it turning over but not firing???? or something else?

Iam absolutely gutted for you. You need to be quich now and re-schedule or ill be beating you to the test!!!!! Got the stupid daft waste of time questionairre yesterday. At least i know they have my form, but what the hell was the second form all about??????

andytmc

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck Jos.

Did you do a Basil Fawlty and threaten to give it a damn good thrashing??

Give me a shout if I can help - don't know much about Pinto's but have a good selection of hammers....

Andy

bigrich

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
bad luck jos sounds like the pinto got a touch of stage fright keep on smileing your almost there
jos

posted on 18/11/05 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, shall do. She was turning and we came extreemly close to starting as she nearly caught a number of times but not the whole schebang.

Stagefright - Yup definately.

When she has been running shes been running very rich as theres a bad smell and a black tinge to the exhaust emissions. Also the sniffer that was used was registering off the scale instead of the les than 4.5% I was aiming for.

So now I'm going to trailer her to Sheffield so that the lads can get their grubby hands on her and give her a good seeing to.

greggors84

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar experiece except I managed to get it to the SVA! It started fine in the morning, i filled up with fuel about a mile from the station and it started fine. I pulled up when i was there, went into the office and he asked me to pull it up to the line. Got in and it would hardly turn over and everytime i tried it just got worse. He jumped it for me but said there was no point doing the test as he would have to start it about 20 times again. I then drove home praying not to stall it.

Im hoping its the battery as I charged it the week before and it seemed fine on the way there and was ok running on the way back. If it was the alternator i would have thought it wouldnt run very well with no charge in the battery and no current coming from the alternator.

The battery will be easy to change but it will be a pain trying to find another suitable alternator. Even though its brand new so i cant see why it wouldnt work.

I still need to check both as i went back to uni the same day so havent had chance to look at it since.

The only good thing about it was he never charged me for the test, i think he felt really sorry for me, he gave me a number to quote the next time i phone up for the test.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.