Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question for the Zetec experts: HELP!
Mave

posted on 2/2/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Question for the Zetec experts: HELP!

I'm trying to solve the bad idle behaviour of my Zetec, and was pointed in the direction of a Fault Code Reader. This should be plugged onto a three-pin connector, and could tell me what's wrong.

I'm using the standard Ford ECU, and a relatively standard Zetec loom (don't know exactly which car it's from). It turns out my loom doesn't have the three-pin diagnostic connector. Actually; the ECU connector is missing a pin (no: 48) which should go to that connector! So.......how will I be able to read the Fault Code!

I have another Zetec loom (a half one that is), which does have the three-pin connector. Would it be possibly to just plug my ECU to this loom, and read the code? It's probably not that simple, as the ECU needs juice to produce the codes. And how could I easily feed that, with blowing the ECU?!?!

Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Some Mondeo Zetecs circa 1995/96 used the 16 pin EOBD diagnostic connector before it was officially fitted. --- they aren't truly OBD2 or EOBD compliant this sometimes called OBD 1.5

The 16 pin connector was fitted adjacent to the steering wheel shroud

britishtrident

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to add try this site

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/Idle.html

Mave

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, thanks, I must be the lucky one (ahum) having the rare 16 pin version currently in my car. 15 of the wires connected to this connector go nowhere in my car, and 1 is going to pin 17; where one of the three diagnostic pins should come from too.

Would it be possible to just add a pin to the ECU connector? Than I could just build the three-pin connector in myself. That would save a lot of hassle!

I discovered the madmole site yesterday evening! Very usefull, and it gives all the fault codes.

Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Before going to far, Have you cleaned all the black crap from the throttle butterly, Remove the air intake pipe and have a look, your problem may not be electrical.
Steve.

Mave

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
What's the best way to clean it? I removed quite a lot of it, but there's still a lot left. But that doesn't brush off easily.

Marcel

rusty nuts

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Carb cleaner or thinners
stevec

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Jam the trotter wide open, and wrap a clean rag with some solvent on around a smallish scewdriver and you can get into the arkward corners, dont forget the edges of the butterfly itself.
Steve.

tks

posted on 2/2/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

i dunno nothing about you situ but i think you need to search for an hayness manual.

some MCU have just 1 pin to do the task.

It could only be an light pin wich will tell with blinks what the problem is.

Cant you just hook up the dashboard of that kind a car and look at the Engine control light?

if there is a problem that one would light to.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

CairB

posted on 3/2/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if it's relevant but I seem to remember that the EECIV ECU that i had on a pinto needed to go through a self calibration process after the power had been removed. I think it was to do with determining the idle valve characteristics.

Cheers,

Colin

andytmc

posted on 4/2/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just to follow up on what Colin said, my Haynes EFI Diagnostic manual says that after the ECU is reset, it is likely to have a rough idle. It recommends getting the engine up to temperature, then running at 1200RPM for 2 minutes, followed by a few miles driving.

When the ECU is reset on mine, the idle ceratainly hunts for a while before settling down.

Marcel - is it a general poor idle you have or is it cutting out some times? If the its the latter then its may be worth checking the idle speed control valve as they can get a bit sticky. Fairly easy to clean with carburrettor cleaner though.

Hope this helps

Andy

Mave

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
The idle is not just bad; she simply dies instantly when the throttle is closed. The idle control valve is open at that point, so I've got the feeling that this isn't the problem.....

I have been able to insert a pin in the ECU connector, and now have a functional diagnostic connector. So now all I have to do is find a fault reader.....

Meanwhile, I also discovered that I had some vacuum leaks in the manifold. I'm hoping to have sorted that out.

I'll report when the problem has been solved.

Marcel

Triggsy

posted on 5/2/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had this exact same problem on my Zetec powered westfield. When i fitted the standard injection system i didn't connect the crankcase breather pipe to the inlet manifold so it stalled every time i let off the throttle at junctions.

When i did finally fit it the car idled fine at close throttle.

Simple fix really.

Cheers
Simon

Mave

posted on 6/2/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, I did check the crankcase ventilation, and it's connected to the manifold. Right now the manifold is off, and newly sealed on the inside. I hope to check it later this week to see if it helps......

Thanks anyway.

Mave

posted on 8/2/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well, she idles nicely now. I sealed up the (custom) intake manifold, and cleaned the throttlebody.
But now she dies when I start revving!!
I started her up, with the throttle open a bit (holding RPM steady, sometimes revving a bit). This went very well, so I slowly closed the throttle, untill it was completely closed. And she kept on running fine. So I let her run for a minute or so, and then I touched the throttle again. This time there was no increase in RPM at all, and only a rough reaction from the engine (bit shakey).

So........now what?!?!?!
I wanted to do a little dance when she finally idled, but now I don't know whether I'm going forward, or actually going back!!

Mave

posted on 12/2/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
SOLVED!!!!!

Today I found out that somehow there was a bit of a problem with the fuel supply. The pump was sucking alright, but it couldn't get enough from the tank. Maybe there just wasn't enough fuel in it......
Anyway, I filled her up, fired her up, and she settled into a nice idle. And was very willing to rev too. So I guess the problem (whatever it was) has been solved!!!

Time for a dance of joy!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.