Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interested in Megasquirt, but can't make my mind up...
David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Interested in Megasquirt, but can't make my mind up...

I've been considering whether to fit a megaJolt ignition system, but I'm also taken with the idea of going over to MegaSquirt with ignition management. I have a 1660cc x-flow that currently uses a Weber down-draft carb with a reasonably fast road cam, so the next upgrade would have been to get the head ported and fit a pair of Weber DCOEs - quite expensive. The alternative is to go over to MegaSquirt.

Trouble is, I have no idea of what's involved, how much it would cost, and how long the car would be off the road. Oh - and how difficult it is to set up.

Is there anyone out there in forum-land who can relate their experiences, to give me some guide?

It may be that it's too much kerfuffle, in which case I'll stick to the MegaJolt, but it would be nice to know all the facts.

cheers,

David

PS: Forgot to mention - I'm more than cabable of building the MegaSquirt kit.

[Edited on 15/2/06 by David Jenkins]

stevebubs

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Get a MS v3 with extra VB921 and run MSnS-E code and that will give you wasted spark ignition. Get this running and then do the fuelling side...

Ignition is relatively easy (although you'll need to fit a trigger wheel and sensor) - certainly no more than a weekend's work

Fuel is a little more involved - but still not that hard....a few weekends, perhaps.

[Edited on 15/2/06 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
PS Just built exactly the above board but still waiting for a couple of components. Will then fit it when I have time (running an Emerald at the moment)

Sorting the fuelling out is relatively straight forward with a wideband lambda sensor (LC-1 / LM-1)

Stephen

David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
What about cost? For example, how much would a set of throttle bodies cost me?

DJ

Rob Lane

posted on 15/2/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
David,

Honest opinion, for a Xflow a MSnS is a waste of time. No injection system for MS and just to get it for ignition is a hell of a lot of money and faffing about.

Megajolt for the ignition is OK but a simple solution is the Bosch dizzy from a Valencia engine from scrappies. Drops in and works a treat.

If you are considering changing the engine then the MSnS is fine, else it's a waste of money.

Rob

BKLOCO

posted on 15/2/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David,
I am the one who bought your seats, remember?
If there is going to be a meeting this month and I am able to get along (next week would be good) then I'm happy to bring my MS along it's not on the car at the moment. I can certainly talk you through my experiences so far.
As an aside I have in my posession a full set of components for a V2.2 MS and also an MS II daughter board that I don't need. I might even have a case! and possibly an rs232 straight through cable! Which just leaves the PCB to buy for a complete MS II set up. PCB available from B&G in about 1 week delivery. I was going to buy the PCB and make the unit up myself and sell it as a "goer" but I just don't have the time.
I'm open to offers!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

stevebubs

posted on 15/2/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
What about cost? For example, how much would a set of throttle bodies cost me?

DJ

Depends how much fabrication you want to / can do yourself.

If fitting a set of small bike bodies, budget £50-£100 for these, plus cost of metal to make a manifold (or about £100 for a custom one)

Add to this fuel pump, pressure regulator and possible new fuel tank (FI typically has a return)

The FI side won't be cheap - a realistic minimum is probably £300 when you factor everything in.

Then you need the ECU....
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Honest opinion, for a Xflow a MSnS is a waste of time. No injection system for MS and just to get it for ignition is a hell of a lot of money and faffing about

I'd argue this - electric ignition and FI make the car purr....also makes an engine upgrade later so much easier....I've seen xflows running on MS with FI enabled and they have been really refined beasts...even with seriously lumpy cams...

It is quite a lot of money, though....

Rob Lane

posted on 15/2/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
A xflow is seriously limited by it's head design.
OK fit EFI and a custom manifold, electronic ignition, but it still won't exceed 150bhp without serious money being spent.
Yes, it will run smooth but so would any engine with FI and ECU.
Xflows are very poor candidates nowadays when so many good modern engines are about. The oil leaks alone make an engine swop worth it!

I know David wants to experiment, it's an itch that needs to be scratched but the results on a Xflow are not worth the expense.

Project7

posted on 15/2/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
sorry if this is a bit of a thread hi-jack

quote:

Sorting the fuelling out is relatively straight forward with a wideband lambda sensor (LC-1 / LM-1)

Hi Steve

can you reccommend a supplier of suitable wideband lambda sensors

Thanks

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sell the xflow and fit either a 1.8 or 2 litre Zetec Silver top Even if you do nothing but fire the injectors and ignition with a Megasquirt &Spark you still have an honest 108 bhp minimum.

1.8 Silver tops are dirt cheap and a lot more reliable than a full house xflo.

[Edited on 15/2/06 by britishtrident]

jonno

posted on 15/2/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David, i keep thinking about megaJolt as well. so would be interested in your findings (i'm running a pinto at the mo !), i'm not sure about megasquirt ( you gotta love the sound 40's make )
David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that changing the engine may be a cheaper way to get the HP - but it means major disruption to the car, with new engine mounts, exhaust manifold, plumbing, and so on. It will happen eventually, but not until I've worn this X-flow out.

I already have the Bosch electronic dizzy - what I was looking for was an improvement in timing control (and more reliability). Also the extra space at the side of the engine would be welcome!

I wasn't looking for a huge increase in power - up to around 100-ish BHP - but the next stage of DCOEs would be expensive. I just thought that MegaSquirt would be a cheaper alternative.

In all probability I'll just stay with what I've got, until it's worn out (oooerr!).

cheers to all.

paulf

posted on 15/2/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have been running my crossflow on megajolt and found it far better than the Valencia distributor which is compromised by giving to much advance at high revs unless the springs and stops are modified.It is easy to get it right with the megajolt with a little experimentation.
I was going to change to a bike engine or Zetec with bike carbs this winter but fancied trying megasquirt, so am now fitting it.I can then get it all running and swap the injection onto a zetec at a later date when the crossflow expires .
I bought the bodys for about £30 and made the manifold from a bit of scrap bar and some exhaust tubing, i have an old vauxhall fuel pump i had left over from another car and built the megasquirt and simulator for about £120 and am using some bosch sensors that were free from the scrapyard.
The worst job for me is the fuel tank and return line, I was going to use a seperate surge tank but think i will modify the existing tank to incorporate a sump so will then only need the one pump.
I now have all the parts and am in the process of final installation so hope to be starting it in a couple of weeks time.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I agree that changing the engine may be a cheaper way to get the HP - but it means major disruption to the car, with new engine mounts, exhaust manifold, plumbing, and so on. It will happen eventually, but not until I've worn this X-flow out.

I already have the Bosch electronic dizzy - what I was looking for was an improvement in timing control (and more reliability). Also the extra space at the side of the engine would be welcome!

I wasn't looking for a huge increase in power - up to around 100-ish BHP - but the next stage of DCOEs would be expensive. I just thought that MegaSquirt would be a cheaper alternative.

In all probability I'll just stay with what I've got, until it's worn out (oooerr!).

cheers to all.

stevebubs

posted on 16/2/06 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I have been running my crossflow on megajolt and found it far better than the Valencia distributor which is compromised by giving to much advance at high revs unless the springs and stops are modified.It is easy to get it right with the megajolt with a little experimentation.
I was going to change to a bike engine or Zetec with bike carbs this winter but fancied trying megasquirt, so am now fitting it.I can then get it all running and swap the injection onto a zetec at a later date when the crossflow expires .
I bought the bodys for about £30 and made the manifold from a bit of scrap bar and some exhaust tubing, i have an old vauxhall fuel pump i had left over from another car and built the megasquirt and simulator for about £120 and am using some bosch sensors that were free from the scrapyard.
The worst job for me is the fuel tank and return line, I was going to use a seperate surge tank but think i will modify the existing tank to incorporate a sump so will then only need the one pump.
I now have all the parts and am in the process of final installation so hope to be starting it in a couple of weeks time.
Paul.

That's the approach I would have taken if I hadn't done the big bang zetec conversion last winter....it's an itch....if you have the $$ to buy the ECU, do it - or you'll be forever wondering "What if..."

[Edited on 16/2/06 by stevebubs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.