Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sony and dirty tricks !
Rob Lane

posted on 26/2/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sony and dirty tricks !

I decided to clean up my sons laptop and delete some of the junk. Whereupon it suffered a serious crash !! Nothing would restore or re-install from hard drive.

It's a Me machine and fortunately I had a full copy to re-install. However it did not require a complete re-install but a partial before it sprang into life again.

i then looked around for the cause and was quite disturbed to find it was an mp3 with replay that had crashed the machine. I did a search on the net and whilst checking came across this:-
Sony

I then checked over said machine and found some fragments of the rookit on that machine.
Checking with said son it appears a few weeks ago he borrowed a Sony protected music disc and played it. Seems the rootkit was installed on his machine and I had somehow triggered it trying to delete the copied mp3 and stuff.

I now wonder if this resides on other machines. I'm going to run the Rootkit check to see.

flak monkey

posted on 26/2/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there was a lot of publicity about this in computer circles. Sony recalled thousands of CDs after microsoft said that rootkit matched its definition of spyware, and so was bringing out a patch to counter it.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

chockymonster

posted on 26/2/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Yes there was a lot of publicity about this in computer circles. Sony recalled thousands of CDs after microsoft said that rootkit matched its definition of spyware, and so was bringing out a patch to counter it.

David

It wasn't just matching the definition of spyware, the whole DRM software used by Sony could allow malicous coding to be executed on someones PC. Their removal tool was even worse, it opened more holes than the original install.

Sony needed a big slap for releasing such immature code into the wild.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.