Inlet manifold # 5

I'm happy with the result anyway!!

Rich

mookaloid

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
It has to be said - that is very impressive
big_wasa

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Come on then spill the beans. That looks the B*ll*xs.

what sort of casting method ? Lost wax ? How did you get it cast ? What alloy ?

I want to know lots more please.

Chazzy

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
looks fantastic, all the same questions as above, plus, how much (ish) can you do others?
toying with the idea of changing the dellortos to throttle bods, more than a little work i know, but having that part sorted saves fabricating a la practical perfromance car.

Chas

BKLOCO

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Rich
You've got to Megasquirt it now...Be bloody rude not to...

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

olv

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic. What model GSXR are the throttle bodies from?
blockhead_rich

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Right folks

More pic's in my archieve..

Got my man @ work to do the CAD modelling for me (just followed my instructions)....then after a couple of rapid prototypes came up with a final design. This was then cast by a mate I play footie with (it also helps that the Technical director and MD and Sales Manager all play as well). Unfortunatly the lovely prototype was lost in the casting process.

Wait a few weeks then... Bingo - I was like a kid in a sweat shop when I picked it up... I didn't expect the quality to be so good.

Now for the Megasquirt....

Oh, I'd need plenty of deposits to make it worth my while creating a casting former.

But you never know...U2U me with serious enquiries and I'll go from there. I'll ask my mate what the casting cost would be and what sort of cost a former would be too.

By the way casting Co was Noaks foundry, in Halstead Essex....recommended!!!

Rich

blockhead_rich

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Throttle bodies are from a 600 but not 100% sure, inside dia are about 40mm.

Just in the process of making my ram pipes too.
Rich

Ben Smith

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great. I put 600 gsxr t/b's on my 4age last year. It worked really well, the 600's are the perfect size for this engine. With uprated cams it made 161bhp and would happily rev to 8000rpm all day. Just finishing putting an r1 in it now. looking forward to seeing how it compares. There are a couple of photo's of gsxr conversion in my archive.

Ben.

PS. Just looking at your archive and noticed your engine mounts are very similar to the ones I had on the striker. These had a habit of cracking the vertical weld (4 times in total!). To over come this I put a vertical brace in that ran up the centre of the bolts. Didn't have a problem after that.

[Edited on 27/2/06 by Ben Smith]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
good work rich awesome looking!

are they the ones you bought from me?

if they are they are definately gsxr 600s, i think K2's or something. they originally had the auxilliary butterflies didn't they

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

eddymcclements

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Rich - that looks suitable for a large-port 4AGE (ex-TVIS model)...am I right? If so I'd be very interested in a manifold to take bike TBs. Does the manifold slant upwards from the head as it appears to do in the photos? I'll need that in order to clear chassis rails and steering column (my engine is low and set weel back in the engine bay).

Cheers,

Eddy

blockhead_rich

posted on 28/2/06 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Liam, yeh, the T/B's were from your good self!

Ben
Thanks for the tip re engine mounts. Have you got a piccture of your mod at all?

Where did you get your cams from - RAW? Did you fit a steel head gasket too?

Eddy
Manifold slants upwards as you suggested - can't remember the angle off the top of my head. The cost of a one off casting is far more than getting a manifold fabricated - my prototype should have cost £80.00 in material alone, and I'd hate to think what the a one off casting wold have been - It pays to have good mates and an understanding boss! Casting mainfolds would only make sense if the volume was high enough to cover these costs. I'll get my calculator out.

My thinking is that there are loads of parts that could be produced in this method though, especially lowered sumps and the like....ideas please.
Rich

Ben Smith

posted on 28/2/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't got the engine anymore so haven't got any pictures of that. It was simply a traingle of steel plate welded vetically between the mounting bolts. A little smaller on the side with only 3 bolts. It's worth doing because you'll soon get fed up with taking them out to fix them.
Yes the cams were from RAW and we fitted a steel head gasket. It was also a phase 3 engine. Hope this helps.

Ben.

phongshader

posted on 7/3/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
when modeling the prototype did you have to figure in shrinkage of the casting coming out of the mold? I here it's about 2-5%. Is this correct?
chasmon

posted on 7/3/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
With a master such as your casting you could manufacture high temperature resin replicas by vacuum casting.

Process costs (time not included) would be about £60 in silicone for a mould that will do 30 or so resin models. Resin c cost I'm not sure of but it should be reaonable...

beleive it or not a non metal manifold is better as it will not suffer heat soak keeping the inducted air cooler and the volumetric efficiency up.

garyo

posted on 8/3/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich,

Where did you get the white trumpet/bellmouth from?

Cheers

Gary

blockhead_rich

posted on 8/3/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Right, catching up here...

The shrinkage was factored in but for the life of me I can't remember the %, might have been about 1% but I can always find out if really needed. Can out spot on I know!

I've got one prototype left but this does not have the shrinkage if that's any good to anyone. It's a bit brittle though.

Chasmon, can you make these resin parts then? What materials do you think would be strong enough? Could you use my spare prorotype as a pattern?

Bell mouths were again modelled up and rapid prototyped (based upon the GSXr's), so I've only got 4 (I've got 2 sets of the GSXr's if any one is interested in these.

Rich

MikeRJ

posted on 8/3/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic work, very professional looking. Could I ask why you have blanked the injector bosses off?
blockhead_rich

posted on 8/3/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
As I'm retaining use of the Toyota fuel rail and injectors.
MrSandMan

posted on 9/3/06 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Let me know how much

quote:
I've got 2 sets of the GSXr's if any one is interested in these.

Rich

Rich I am trying to get some ram pipes for my R1 carbs. Let me know a price and some dimensions as I may be interested.
Ta.

chasmon

posted on 9/3/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blockhead_rich
Right, catching up here...

The shrinkage was factored in but for the life of me I can't remember the %, might have been about 1% but I can always find out if really needed. Can out spot on I know!

I've got one prototype left but this does not have the shrinkage if that's any good to anyone. It's a bit brittle though.

Chasmon, can you make these resin parts then? What materials do you think would be strong enough? Could you use my spare prorotype as a pattern?

Bell mouths were again modelled up and rapid prototyped (based upon the GSXr's), so I've only got 4 (I've got 2 sets of the GSXr's if any one is interested in these.

Rich

I have experience of the process at work and we have the kit, however I would not do a homer like this though.

To be honest I'd be keener if you had a prototype for a Zetec :p It may be worth your while finding out how much a vacuum casting company would charge. I'm guesing their labour costs (its intensive) would be the major cost...

Calling for anyone with access to vacuum casting kit!

I can find out what material would be suitable though for you.

[Edited on 9/3/06 by chasmon]

phongshader

posted on 17/3/06 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
That would be great if you could give me the shrink % I'm planning on doing something similar with a Duratec 2.3.
Thanks

blockhead_rich

posted on 17/3/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Give me a few days and I'll ask my mate who did the casting - still can't remember the shrinkage % value.
phongshader

posted on 4/5/06 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Any luck on figuring out what the rate of shrinkage was?
blockhead_rich

posted on 5/5/06 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
The shrinkage was 1% but you would need to check this figure with the casting Company as it could vary depending upon process and material used I think.
Rich

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.