Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cycle speedos
stu da rude

posted on 13/3/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
cycle speedos

For those of you that have used these as a speedo's on your cars, i have a quick question. do they all limit at around 99km/h? secondly, and more importantly, is there a maximum pulse width they can measure before the reading becomes incorrect? by using the manufacturers spec for max/min inputtable circumference figures and this theoretical top speed it means typically, 22 pulses per second is the resultant pulse width at max speed with min circumference. for my application i think ill be getting around 80 pulses per second, is it simply not possible to input a circumference smaller than the book says, or is it because 22 pulses is the maximum pulse width the thing can measure?

answers on a postcard...

Jon Ison

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I tested one on a pillar drill once, it read nice and steady up too 119mph before it went awol, I never fitted in car, was intending too but bought a digi dash instead.

Micael

posted on 13/3/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a Sigma cycle speedo and it works at least up to 140 km/h.
I have mount the sender on the rear break drum..

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

locoboy

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like your trying to mount it to read off the prop adaptor?

Try and mount it to read off something that does not spin so fast/has a larger diameter, eg diff output flange or a rear brake drum or rear wheel.

ATB
Locoboy

JAG

posted on 14/3/06 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
My Sigma BC1200 claims to read upto 183mph (300km/h) and has an acceptable wheel range that easily covers my 185/60 14 tyre circumference.

I mounted the magnet inside the wheel rim and made up a bracket to mount the sensor. I have had very few problems since SVA.

At SVA I had some problems getting an accurate speed reading when the car was on the rollers. On the road it was perfect - I confirmed this by driving in convoy with my wife.

I got it through SVA by adjusting the speedo on the rollers.

I adjusted it back as soon as I got home.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Peteff

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
We had a Sigma that read up to 180mph, well 123mph verified. The ones that read up to 99.9 will start again at 0 when they reach their limit so you just add it onto 100

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stu da rude

posted on 15/3/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys people, looks like ill have to have a rethink...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.