Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making up Battery Cables
Chris_G

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Making up Battery Cables

Has anyone got any tips regarding soldering on copper tube terminals (as shown below) to battery leads. My concern is that the insulation is going to fry in the process. I was planning on giving the lead and the terminal a coat of flux then wrap some cold wet rag around the insulation while I hit the terminal with a blowlamp and solder. Does this sound ok or am I headed for disaster? I have bought heatshrink to cover everything up nicely when done.

Cheer
Chris Rescued attachment ctt25.jpg
Rescued attachment ctt25.jpg

Now finished! Xflow-Zetec swap with GSXR TB's and Megasquirt.

givemethebighammer

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine with a small gas torch (type chefs use to brown top of puddings). The insulation melted a little but the heat shrink covered it up. I think a full sized blow torch might make a bit of a mess - I might be wrong). Rescued attachment cooks_blow_torch.jpg
Rescued attachment cooks_blow_torch.jpg

skydivepaul

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
you can always cut a slot in the terminal and crimp the cable on. Most aftermarket leads are crimped and not soldered. Makes a neat job if your soldering isnt up to scratch and the big terminals are difficult to get right and look good.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same - the sleeving went back a few mm, but I covered that with glued heat-shrink.

The only alternative is to crimp it - but who's got one of them when you need one?

David

dave r

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
i have
rayward

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'v got the crimpers to do them, if your really stuck and want to post them to me, i could do them and post em back.

Ray

Chris_G

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a mini blow lamp as shown below and my soldering is usually pretty good so I think I'll give it a go with one end and see how it comes out. If it looks a mess then I'll give you a shout Ray!

Cheers
Chris Rescued attachment 27919i0.jpg
Rescued attachment 27919i0.jpg

Now finished! Xflow-Zetec swap with GSXR TB's and Megasquirt.

ReMan

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I crimped mine by layin a steel pin on the front and squashing it in the vice a bit like the crap pic... Rescued attachment ctt25c.jpg
Rescued attachment ctt25c.jpg

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Peteff

posted on 4/4/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you bare the end of the wire then stand the terminal up in the vice, heat it up with the blowlamp and fill it with molten solder, flux the cable them just plunge it in and let it set it will hold.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 4/4/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
If you bare the end of the wire then stand the terminal up in the vice, heat it up with the blowlamp and fill it with molten solder, flux the cable them just plunge it in and let it set it will hold.

Yep - it does

Kissy

posted on 4/4/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Plumbers soldering iron will do it (circa 85w IIRC) Blow lamp is a bit on the hot side. You don't want the solder to capillary up the wire too far otherwise it'll be prone to cracking later in life. Best is to crimp and then use adhesive lined heat-shrink to seal the job (if you use clear you can stick +ve or -ve label inside). The heatshrink also acts as a good strain-reliever.
Anglia66

posted on 4/4/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I took my battery cables to a local auto electricians and they crimped the terminals on for a drink.I had previously cut them all to the correct lengths.
02GF74

posted on 5/4/06 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I crimped mine by layin a steel pin on the front and squashing it in the vice a bit like the crap pic...

Don't solder it. You want a solid cable to terminal contact.

ReMan is right; that is how I did it. A short lenth of rod e.g. a cut down bolt then put in vice and give it a good squeeze. I put the rod on the underside.

The connection will be physically stronger and better elecrtically.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.