Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can i drive to the MOT station??
richard thomas

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can i drive to the MOT station??

Hi, need advice...
I have booked my newly finished Luego velocity in for an MOT tommorow morning, 2 weeks ahead of the SVA. It is insured and has a chassis number . Obviously there is no Reg plate yet!
Can I drive it to the MOT station or do I have to trailer it? The car is booked in under the chassis plate number.

All advice gratefully received!!

Cheers, Rich.

fesycresy

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why MOT it ?

Where are you in South Wales ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Peter M

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can legally drive to a prebooked MoT without registration,etc it must be insured.
So you say yours is insured so no problem.

my previous cars

my westfield build

Deckman001

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
As long as your booked in, your covered in relation to being pulled and being lawfull

Enjoy !!

Jason

richard thomas

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I went to the local police station to ask today and got 3 answers from 3 different people!!
The reason I'm MOT'ing it is to check out the emmisions before SVA - rather know it's ok before the big test!! Also to be fully armed when it comes to registering it - I've heard that they may or may not ask for an MOT so might as well be sure to prevent any more delays to getting it on the road....spoke to DVLA about it and couldn't get a straight answer! It's not made of all new parts so it'll need one next year anyway.
I'm in Maesteg, by the way - anyone close??

Rich.

donut

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure that when you go to the DVLA to register your car (after SVA) that you tell them that it has been MOT'd and can they take it of the system as you don't need an MOT for 3 years like a new car. If doing it by post then write them a letter.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it only needed an MOT after 3 years if it was built entirely from new parts?? And that if it is built from some recon/old parts it would need one after 1 year??

Confused

donut

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
No.

SVA and 1st registration means NO MOT FOR 3 YEARS regardless of age of parts.... YAY! Daft but hey, it's their rules!!

If you do have an MOT before the SVA you will more than likely have an MOT reminder after 12 months so it's best to either not have an MOT, have an MOT but not official so it's not on the system or tell the DVLA when registering so they can take it of their system.

[Edited on 9/6/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 9/6/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough, can't argue with that!! All good news! Haven't some people been asked to get an mot before being given a Reg number though??
donut

posted on 9/6/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe. The DVLA and SVA stations seem to sometimes have their own rules!

Andy

Fatgadget

posted on 9/6/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Why not ask a garage just to check the emissions for you?
zxrlocost

posted on 9/6/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
mate your not helping yourself as your asking loads different people the same question? they will all say diff things

Ive just done my SVA this is what you need to do

book in at MOT station you DONT NEED AN MOT this is what your first SVA is for

you dont want a REAL MOT logged on the computer etc infact the only thing you should need is to borrow his emissions machine

new MOT emission machines are a pain in the ass

see if you can find someone who has the old style emission machine that stays on all the time

then you need in no order your SVA and dvla inspection if you pass you need to give the dvla your paperwork

have you had your chassis number confirmed I never did I just picked a good one and its worked

hth
chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bimbleuk

posted on 10/6/06 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
I did have my car SVA'd already but with no road tax or registration I booked an MOT. I was pulled on the way by a couple of traffic cops and after I explained where I was going they let me carry on. I thought they might question the need to drive over 40 miles (20 each way) to get an MOT when I could have driven less than a mile in my home town
Baldrick

posted on 10/6/06 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
I just re-taxed my car for the summer when I was home and spoke to the DVLA helpline who said you did need an MOT. I tried arguing but the simpleton on the other end just lost his rag.
So I ignored him and went to the LVLO in Aberdeen. I gave them all my paper work and told the the car was on SORN. The clerk asked for an MOT. I told him it was SVA'd in June 04 so didn't need an MOT until 2007, he disagreed. I explained that this seems to be a grey area etc. and could he double check. He went and talked to his manager and came back and said I was correct and it didn't need an MOT. He went on to explain the SVA process is for Kit Cars (as he called them) and Imports. If you have a kit car then if you pass SVA you don't need an MOT for three years (regardless of new plate or age related plate). If you have an import then you need an MOT on each anniversary of the SVA pass. I think this is where all the confusion arises. If you explain you have a kit car (as far as they are concerned it's either a kit car or an import) then they should (should!) know you are exempt for 3 years.
Worth standing your ground though.
Mind you a trip for a pre-SVA run out is always useful.

richard thomas

posted on 10/6/06 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I thought, a shakedown run can't hurt. Bit nervous now, only hour and a half to go........
trogdor

posted on 10/6/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
good luck! hope it goes well! have tried to get my car to an mot twice now and have failed both times, this is for a saab 96 btw. the first time we couldn't get above second gear, and the second the engine was really down on power, not sure why yet, suspect timing.

anyway hope u have a nice run, with this weather it will be nice!

richard thomas

posted on 10/6/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
YIPPEEE! passed first time!! Burnt my bald head though......had prolems on the way home though-car kangerooing like mad, misfire at 5000 and would not take full throttle. I think it might be fuel vapourisation as there is not much airflow under the bonnet and it was HOT today-going to cut a hole in the bonnet above the filter.

Thanks for the advice lads!!

Rich.

zxrlocost

posted on 10/6/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Passed?

like a proper computer pass?

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/6/06 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
If pass the MOT before the SVA, even if you fail the SVA, you can drive it home as you have proof that it is roadworthy.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

richard thomas

posted on 10/6/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, a reel genuine computer pass!!
Good lad doing the test, he reckoned that the emissions on a kit car don't count...wasn't going to argue with him!! But he checked it anyway for me and said it would be ok for a '99 engine so i'm quids in for the SVA on that count....hopefully.
Bit further to drive for SVA, might trailer it, especially after the antics it played on me today on the way home

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.