Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mot requirements
JoelP

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
mot requirements

right chaps. My car needs a mot. Trouble is, theres so much wrong with it that i wouldnt be able to get it all done in the 2 weeks allowed for a retest. (if you even get a free retest anymore!)

So, i need to work out roughly what needs doing for the mot, so i can get the bigger problems out of the way. Reading this post you might get the impression that i am a little unconcerned by normal safe practice, and you would be right. I just want a MOT, im not actually bothered how i get one or what i need to blag.

So, to start, i have no wipers. If i remove the windscreen, i then also have no wing mirrors. What are the legal requirements for mirrors? Just an o/s mirror, or non at all?

The seats arent bolted in. I could just remove them and sit on the floor (perfectly comfortable and i can still reach the pedals), but are there any complications from having no seats?

No speedo. Is this required?

No dashboard at all (its a work in progress...). Do i need any warning lights? Brake fluid light? Beam indicators etc?

Missing a cycle wing. Should i just remove both (ie the good one and the remains) to make it look symetrical and to get rid of sharp edges? Or do you need mud guards?

Theres no horn fitted. Needed?

No hazard lights working. Needed?

No headlights. How practical is it to try for a daylight mot?

Number plate light is AWOL. Needed?

Front number plate is lelled (bent from a bump). Just straighten it and hope?

The bonnet is a very poor fit. Are they likely to fail it on that? ie the chance of it blowing away?!

Theres more im sure, thats just the few things that occur to me

Any help anyone?!

mookaloid

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the answers to all your questions Joel.........

But I can lend you some cable ties if you are running short

Cheers

Mark

nitram38

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need an MOT......you need a breakers!

Virtually everything you have mentioned needs to be working.

[Edited on 6/7/2006 by nitram38]

Peteff

posted on 7/7/06 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Swap somebody numberplates and take their car, otherwise it's bad news

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Kissy

posted on 7/7/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
So, to start, i have no wipers. If i remove the windscreen, i then also have no wing mirrors. What are the legal requirements for mirrors? Just an o/s mirror, or non at all?
Yep, o/s mirror IIRC, but you couls always self-tapper the w/s mounted mirror to the dash (or a dollop of PU adhesive)

The seats arent bolted in. I could just remove them and sit on the floor (perfectly comfortable and i can still reach the pedals), but are there any complications from having no seats?

No speedo. Is this required? Yes, as is a working odometer (mileage).
Suppose a bicycle speedo would be ok (make sure it's one that'll go over the normal 60-odd MPH

No dashboard at all (its a work in progress...). Do i need any warning lights? Brake fluid light? Beam indicators etc?
Brake fluid they cannot test anyway.
Missing a cycle wing. Should i just remove both (ie the good one and the remains) to make it look symetrical and to get rid of sharp edges? Or do you need mud guards?
You need the wheel covered over (someone correct me here) something like 40% of the circumference (no spray) and the road contacting tread width.

Theres no horn fitted. Needed? Yep, and tested

No hazard lights working. Needed? Yep, tested, and warning must illuminate

No headlights. How practical is it to try for a daylight mot? Go for it

Number plate light is AWOL. Needed? Yep, d/s tape + run two wires and cable tie - must come on with s/lights

Front number plate is lelled (bent from a bump). Just straighten it and hope? Needs to be perpendicular and in clear legible condition.

The bonnet is a very poor fit. Are they likely to fail it on that? ie the chance of it blowing away?!
Just make sure it is secured down, and removeable because they'll need to take it off to check the car

Any help anyone?!
WTF is this car anyway - a Nocost?

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/7/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
So, to start, i have no wipers. If i remove the windscreen, - Sounds ok to me. but remember new MOT's are now vehicle specific.

i then also have no wing mirrors. What are the legal requirements for mirrors? Just an o/s mirror, or non at all? - Drivers door/wing mirror plus one other.

The seats arent bolted in. I could just remove them and sit on the floor (perfectly comfortable and i can still reach the pedals), but are there any complications from having no seats? - Bolt drivers in and remove other.

No speedo. Is this required?. Yes milage, who cares how many miles. no accuracy check required either.

No dashboard at all (its a work in progress...). Do i need any warning lights? Brake fluid light? Beam indicators etc? - Indicator tell tales, rear fog light, side lights & main beam(questionable).

Missing a cycle wing. Should i just remove both (ie the good one and the remains) to make it look symetrical and to get rid of sharp edges? Or do you need mud guards? - tyres need wheel aches/guards.

Theres no horn fitted. Needed? - Yes.

No hazard lights working. Needed? - Yes

No headlights. How practical is it to try for a daylight mot? - Not needed but MOT would state for daylight hours use only.

Number plate light is AWOL. Needed? - must be fitted, must work & now must illuminate numberplate. But refer to above.

Front number plate is lelled (bent from a bump). Just straighten it and hope? - yep

The bonnet is a very poor fit. Are they likely to fail it on that? ie the chance of it blowing away?! - must be secure.

Any help anyone?!

hope the above inserts help (rider - its 2 1/2 years since I did an MOT)

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jon_boy

posted on 7/7/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Take it along and ask them if they will pre mot it for cheap, ie an official mot to see how things are. All the lights and horn etc need to be done and im thinking basically everything else as well.
Toady1

posted on 7/7/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell mate! should you be allowed on the road???
jollygreengiant

posted on 7/7/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
bloody hell mate! should you be allowed on the road???

Just remember that the basic MOT is designed around a car built in 1914 - would you want to drive one of those down thew motorway a 80mph

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

JoelP

posted on 7/7/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chaps! I just worry about pissing off the tester by taking a car that, basically, is a joke!

I'll work through the obvious things and take it down.

Thanks again.

JoelP

posted on 7/7/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Swap somebody numberplates and take their car, otherwise it's bad news

thanks for the offer pete, are you in at lunchtime tomorrow then?! :p

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.