Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: quickie - lowering suspension
02GF74

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quickie - lowering suspension

.... previoulsy asked about cutting down a spring but had a locost idea.

what about taking an angle grinder and running it over the outside of the spring to slightly reduce its cross section thus making it a bit softer?

I can;t see thit it matters that the spring is not longer circular in cross section????

Phil.J

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Lowering a car by softening the springs so it sags more would have a radical effect on the handling, probably defeating the object in lowering it in the first place! Plus you would need a way of measuring the spring rates to get them balanced. Shortening the springs by cutting them will also raise the rate sharply.
If you speak to a local spring manufacturer you might find they will make what you want at a surprisingly reasonable rate.
Phil

David Jenkins

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
There's a fairly high risk of creating a weak spot (e.g. a bit thinner than the rest) that would fracture very rapidly as it gets all the stress concentrated there. Even a bad scratch in the surface would do it.

That's why the spring makers use constant thickness wire...

nitram38

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Another reason why I have inboard suspension.
I have the choice of adjusting the springs to help with roll, but also the opportunity to adjust/replace the pushrod lengths for ride height.

tks

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
the only

cheap way of lowering en stifning what i have seen is to make a clamp
of sheet U´s end to union 2 windins together..

then you lower the car with the distance between the winding! also the spring is stiffer because it has 1 winding less.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Prez

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do, DO NOT take an angle grinder to a spring. It is impossible to achieve any kind of satisfactory outcome through this method. As previously stated, go to the professionals, the consequences of a suspension failure at any kind of speed would be horrendous.
RazMan

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Softening the spring is definitely not the answer for the reasons already stated. As tks said, I have heard of adjacent coils of the spring being clamped together, effectively shortening the spring and lowering ride height.

Still a bit dodgy imo

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 26/9/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
New springs cost bugger all anyway, just buy some you tight git!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Catpuss

posted on 26/9/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Certaily new springs will cost less than the problems you find when they fail and the insewerance won't pay out due to the springs being ground down.

Don't risk it. Just get springs the size and stiffness you want.

02GF74

posted on 26/9/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
New springs cost bugger all anyway, just buy some you tight git!

Cheers,
James

I haven't inveswtigated this but if I stay with the dolomite shocks, I'd be surprised if there will be much of a choice as far as springs go (i.e. same diameter, length, lower poundage.)

greggors84

posted on 26/9/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Are they not a standard size then? You should be able to get some aftermarket springs from someone else that will fit your shocks.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

02GF74

posted on 26/9/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
from memoery, they are about 120 mm diameter - dunno if that is a standard size.
paulf

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
they look similiar to hilmman imp fronts to me , maybe imp front springs would fit.
I would just get a pair of AVOs or Protechs and swap them .
Paul

MikeRJ

posted on 26/9/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
from memoery, they are about 120 mm diameter - dunno if that is a standard size.

What is the diameter of the damper body? If small enough it's possible you could modify them to take coil-over springs.

02GF74

posted on 27/9/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

What is the diameter of the damper body? If small enough it's possible you could modify them to take coil-over springs.

This is the way I'm thinking . Damper body is 42 mm The damper body slides into a top strut - a cylinder that is about 51 mm so both fit inside 2 1/4 ID springs will fit.

Worst case is 3 mm clearance but I reckon the top 'cylinder" can be shortned.

Alos the triumph dolomite rear end is for a car that is 2x the weight designed to carry 5 people, larger petrol tank and luggage so the rate is not gonna be right.

Hopeful.ly by the week end I'll get one of them out and do some spring measurements.

I'm thinking about the RalDes adjuastable kit - see other post.

NS Dev

posted on 27/9/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
damper rate will be miles too high, no good at all.

this thread reminds me of my brother's comments the other night on his ideas for a new lowering kit for ebay to appeal to the Chav market.

"super new high tech lowering kit, latest technology from Japan secretly imported" would be the title. For the "basic" kit you get 4 clout nails, for the improved kit 4 galvanised clout nails and for the "super" kit you get 4 galvanised clout nails clouted through 4 squares of ply.

high tech kit but no probs with trading standards, it lowers the car by the amount shown on the tyre size reference chart attached to the parcel!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.