Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is your garage floor covered in explosives ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Is your garage floor covered in explosives ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

rust + powdered aluminium = Thermite

Needs a very high temperature to ignite it (welder?)

Time to sweep up

This was supposed to be tongue in cheek but then I found this

http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=542&parent=506

at the bottom of the page

[Edited on 18/10/06 by givemethebighammer]

hillbillyracer

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I read about a bloke who used his bench grinder to dress up some aluminium bits where it was normally used for steel. Next time he gave some steel a bit of stick a few days later, BANG! Took all the hairs off his forearms & his eyebrows & gave him flash burns over all his uncovered skin
Apparently the mixture of steel & alloy grinding dust was near enough the same as used in WW2 incendery bombs.

skydivepaul

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmmmm thermite. the favourite ingredient of brainiac to which all other burning things are measured.

i dont know about anyone else but when i here about these things i want to go and make some and test it

locost explosive anyone

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Peteff

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
We used a thermic lance to cut a skull out of an arc furnace which broke when I worked in a foundry, it was like a length of conduit with iron filings inside and pure oxygen blown through it. It needed an oxy-propane torch to light it and it went through everything it touched like a hot knife through butter.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisW

posted on 18/10/06 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not made any thermite for years..... hmmm....

Oh, and the best way of getting it to light is by sprinking a layer of magnesium powder on top of the mix, then using magnesium ribbon as a fuse.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
And don't do it in the kitchen!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

paulbeyer

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
We used a thermic lance to cut a skull out of an arc furnace

That sounds a bit Fred West. What was a skull doing in a furnace and why did it need to be cut out?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

smart51

posted on 19/10/06 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
They used a mixture of iron oxide and aluminium powder to coat the outer skin of the hindeburg to stop it absorbing too much sunlight. A spark on landing at new york ignited it. IT wasn't the hydrogen that burned (at first)
givemethebighammer

posted on 19/10/06 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
We used a thermic lance to cut a skull out of an arc furnace

That sounds a bit Fred West. What was a skull doing in a furnace and why did it need to be cut out?

I don't think Pete means that sort of skull

http://www.edpsciences.org/articles/metal/abs/2006/08/P369/P369.html

pewe

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me as if kit car building and pyromania(?) go together.
Anyway you're all making life difficult ..... weedkiller and sugar are much cheaper/easier!!!
Cheers, Pewe
PS Just hope Special Branch don't monitor this site or they'll be trying to round us up as terrorist suspects - Chris W first as the ring-leader

iank

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
thermite isn't an explosive, it's just a powder that burns really really hot and isn't easy to put out, which is why it's used for incendiary 'bombs'.
It's used for joining (in a kind of crude welding) railway tracks in a Siberian winter IIR my chemistry lessons

We set off a small amount in a crucible using magnesium ribbon, leaves a little blob of molten iron, but I think it's a teacher demonstration these days (I'll ask the missus)

[Edited on 19/10/06 by iank]

Peteff

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
What was a skull doing in a furnace and why did it need to be cut out?

It's a local foundry term Paul, sorry. It's a shell of metal that has set in the furnace which usually gets poured out with the melt.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jon_boy

posted on 19/10/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
A blob of thermite around the size of a 50p piece left on the bonnet of a car will go straight through including the block so i was once told. Ever tried powdering the stuff on sparklers and lighting that he he. Or the weedkiller and sugar classic. All in the name of science obviously. Household stuff is dangerous...
marcyboy

posted on 19/10/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
They used a mixture of iron oxide and aluminium powder to coat the outer skin of the hindeburg to stop it absorbing too much sunlight. A spark on landing at new york ignited it. IT wasn't the hydrogen that burned (at first)

something to do with the landing lines grounding the beast at the wrong moment in time iirc,
good footage, but imagine what it was like for real....
as for thermite someone might have some stats, but it is amazing gear!!

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/10/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ah reminds me of the Jolly Rogers Cookbook that used to circulate school. Still around if you look hard enough

James

posted on 19/10/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Ah reminds me of the Jolly Rogers Cookbook that used to circulate school. Still around if you look hard enough

Be careful about downloading.... possession of 'terrorist' manuals is now illegal IIRC.

Well done the Labour government!

Well done all you lot who helped vote them in!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JoelP

posted on 19/10/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
in possesion of material of use to a terrorist

surely that includes my passport?

Anyway, how does rust and ally go bang since both are already oxidised? Or do you have to catch the ally before it oxidises itself?

DarrenW

posted on 19/10/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen aluminium swarfe burn in a factory - only a small amount but it was quite volatile. It was being cut by std cut off saw - heat of the swarfe ignited itself. Nasty stuff so be careful.

JoelP

posted on 19/10/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
to answer my own question, its because a surface layer of ally oxide still leaves the vast majority as plain ally. I guess the heat of a bit burning evapourates the surface ally oxide and starts a chain reaction.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.