Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dash board lower edge .... again
02GF74

posted on 29/10/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
dash board lower edge .... again

there are 2 slutions > 19 mm is firm or > 5 mm is edge cannot be felt - I am looking at some trim that I can attach to lower edge of 11 mm thick plywood dash that then will be covered by the existing pvc cover (hopefully there is enough material to coverethe front ofthe trim to make it look neat.)

has anyone used any of the trims below?
SRS26,SRS2,SRS4,SRS36 or SRS97 look like candidates.

re: the 127 mm exclusion zone around the steering wheel. Does this mean I do not need to do the dashboard radius stuff on driver's side if the edge falls within the zone?

Alan_Thomas

posted on 29/10/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem. I got wooden dowel approx 30mm dia then used a router to cut a slot 13 mm wide and about the same deep (you may need a wider or narrower slot)
The dash was cover in vinyl and I rolled and glued the same vinyl around the dowel with the edges folded into the slot. then it was a push fit over the bottom of the dash, When I knew I had it like I wanted it I pulled it off then glued it in postion.
I looks quite neat and after bashing My legs on it many times getting in and out it is still there.

To get the right width slot I experimanted with a short section of dowel about 3 inchs long before going on to the 'real thing'
- Alan

RichardK

posted on 29/10/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to use pipe lagging under the vinyl? That is what I'm going to use providing it's ok. As this will be bigger than it needs to be so shouldn't be too bad to wrap around the bottom if it where to fall out later

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnN

posted on 29/10/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I used something like SRS26 on a fibreglass Luego dash. The finished thickness was exactly 10mm (measured with calipers by Mr SVA).

I think your existing dash @ 11mm may be too thick for SRS26, although if it could be fixed over it, undoubtably it would satisfy the min radius requirements

02GF74

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
dash has angled side bits otherwise dowel could be used.
craig1410

posted on 31/10/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I just used a bit of square section timber around 40mm x 40mm. I then drew a circle on the end and used a block plane to make the square into a circle on two of the four edges(only took 10 mins).

I then cut a 6mm deep rebate along half of one of the remaining square faces with my router to accept the bottom edge of the dashboard (6mm MDF). I then covered the lot with thin foam (for padding only) and vinyl from Woolies.

Doing it this way the radiused lower edge does not stick out towards you as it is flush with the front face of the dash. It still has 180 degrees worth of >19mm radius so will be acceptable for SVA. I had thought of just slotting a piece of 40mm dowel but I wanted it flush with the dash face and I didn't fancy trying to cut a rebate on a piece of dowel.

HTH,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 31/10/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a profile which might explain better than words.

Cheers,
Craig. Rescued attachment Dash.gif
Rescued attachment Dash.gif

02GF74

posted on 31/10/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, I thought of somthing similar but instead glueing on another thcikness of panle, so toatl thickness is 22 mm and then putting on the radius - the latter part easier said then done; something like this:

dash lower edge 2
dash lower edge 2

But I am not sure if the curved bi has to go up the back?

(I'm gonna order a shed load of drifferent tirms and see if I can use one of those ... so await to hear more on this soon).

chriscook

posted on 31/10/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
My sva dash is a piece of 3mm mdf with a length of 38mm OD wastpipe glued to the bottom edge and the mdf profiled to match it. The whole lot is then covered in vinyl.

I intend to change it to carbon but want to find a sheet with a rolled edge as I prefer that to a straight 'as cut' edge - makes it look more finished. Although i don't know where I can get a piece...

Chris

James

posted on 31/10/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
What about buying lengths of wooden 'quarter' dowel. (don't know the proper name)

ie. round wooden lengths that are split along their length into quarters.

Glue two of these the length of your dash lower edge.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

02GF74

posted on 1/11/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
I intend to change it to carbon but want to find a sheet with a rolled edge as I prefer that to a straight 'as cut' edge - makes it look more finished. Although i don't know where I can get a piece...

I've not seen that but you can get ready made dashboards as you know.

Also Europa spares sell this carbon fibre cloth that you then apply to a surface with some resin stuff - not sure if they would have a piece big enough or maybe CFS - no idea how "gluing" on some carbon fibre cloth will look; crap proably unless you can get the surface smooth

chriscook

posted on 1/11/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm after a real carbon sheet not stick on - as you say i think it'll look crap.

Fluke do a dash along the lines of what i'm after but aren't cheap and i don't think its quite wide enough:

02GF74

posted on 2/11/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
I'm after a real carbon sheet not stick on - as you say i think it'll look crap.

Fluke do a dash along the lines of what i'm after but aren't cheap and i don't think its quite wide enough:

the sheet I refer to is not some halfords printed vinyl but prper carbon fibre matt that is attached with resin - the photos show in the catalogu make it llok good but they probalby had about 50 attempts

ok; find them - £ 90 for one.

carbonMods on ebay selling dashes; - none on at the mo (if you look at previous itmes, only about 1 in 10 get sold hmmm..... ); from meory they are £ 90.

[Edited on 2/11/06 by 02GF74]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.