Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Idiots guide to injection...
oliwb

posted on 9/12/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Idiots guide to injection...

I am hoping someone can fill in some blanks for me. I'm looking to put some motor bike throttle bodies onto my new 2 L zetec and am converting from a bike carb'd pinto in the process. At the moment my setup is very simple - megajolt takes care of sparks....fuel tank outlet - ZX6r fuel pump - carbs. I have a vent pipe in the top of the tank which I hope can be used as a return line if needed?! So my questions are what else will I need apart from (and is this all correct!):
Starting from the tank end....
- outlet to existing zx6r pump
- swirl pot in engine bay to
- high pressure injection pump (from what?) to
- pressure regulator to
- throttle bodies (split and mounted on manifold), then
- return line back to the tank (and or swirl pot?)
and obviously a megasquirt box to control it all.
So what kind of things should I be looking at sourcing?
- manifold (making my own)
- high pressure pump (is it needed - been suggested it might not be)
- pressure regulator
- swirl pot
- throttle bodies (looking like zx9r - thanks Mark!)
- megasquirt
- high pressure fuel line?
- return line?
As you can see I've got some clue but hoping someone can fill me in properly with an idiots guide to the plumbing sequence and what I should try to source and from where! Thanks in advance! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zzr1100rick2

posted on 9/12/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
hope this might be of some use if it works Rescued attachment lpfp.gif
Rescued attachment lpfp.gif

TangoMan

posted on 9/12/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Oli,
I am going through the same conversion.
I would not put the swirl pot in teh engine bay as it will soak up extra heat. Not a good thing.
I am planning to put my return line back into the swirl pot so the best placement will be by the tank to allow the fuel to cool down a bit.
I am planning bike pump to feed the swirlpot and then HP pump (which will be needed!!) to feed the injectors. There are lots of adjustable pressure regulators with gauges on eBay at the moment.
I will be using the injectors that came with my TB's (GSXR750) but will make a new fuel rail to cater with the port spacings. I have had my MS set up to use standard Ford sensors as this will be easier for me.
Lots of reading required I think!!

Summer's here!!!!

oliwb

posted on 9/12/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear so! Looks like I've gotten the general gist of it which is good! Just need to track down some of the parts and work out how much its going to cost....then the big decision - carbs or throttle bodies! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 10/12/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
The pressure regulator comes after the fuel rail BTW unlike on carbs.
Syd Bridge

posted on 11/12/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
The pressure regulator comes after the fuel rail BTW unlike on carbs.

Depends on the type of regulator. I've seen regs positioned before and after the injectors.

Make sure which type of reg you have.

If it has an in, and two outs, it'll go BEFORE the injectors; if one in and one out, after the injectors. But still not necessarily so in all cases. Again, check manufacturers specs.

Cheers,
Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
.....but in that case the fuel line will have a "dead end" and the only return will be from the reg.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

TangoMan

posted on 12/12/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
.....but in that case the fuel line will have a "dead end" and the only return will be from the reg.

I think that's the idea Nat.

The regulator regulates the pressure and lets excess back to the tank, so there is an outlet when required.. This is probably better than the reg before injectors as it should keep the pressure more constant IMHO.

Summer's here!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.