Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got my Megajolt working!
David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Got my Megajolt working!

Fired it up today - seems to be working just fine. Also, my CA/Smiths/Greengauges rev counter is perfectly happy with the MJ tacho output, which is a relief. Just waiting for some vacuum pipe to arrive, then I can complete the installation (oh, and the shift light - but I've got to create a mount for that).

Just one oddity - the tacho meter on the PC configurator display shows around 500rpm when the engine's stopped. This isn't a problem of any sort, as it matches my own tacho exactly once the engine is started. Perhaps it's some kind of 'feature' in the software!

I've also removed the old dizzy and replaced it with a turned plug - what a lot of room there is on that side now!

Thanks for all the help I have received...

David

UncleFista

posted on 8/1/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I've also removed the old dizzy and replaced it with a turned plug - what a lot of room there is on that side now!

Thanks for all the help I have received...

David

Funnily enough I was looking at our megajolted Kent yesterday and was thinking the same thing. Once the dizzy and fuel pump are removed, there's plenty of room on that side

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

andyace

posted on 8/1/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I want to do this to mine. Any hints/tips/instructions on reducing an existing dizzy to its smallest size?

Many thanks, Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't do it that way - I took the clamp off the bottom of an old dizzy, then turned up a bit of steel on the lathe so that it was the same diameter as the dizzy's shaft. Turned in a groove for an o-ring, then used the old clamp to hold the bung in place. I put an over-sized bit at the top of the bung to ensure that it couldn't fall inside the engine, even if the clamp came loose.

Here's what it looks like now:

[Edited on 11/1/07 by David Jenkins] Rescued attachment DSCF0029.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0029.JPG

TangoMan

posted on 8/1/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I didn't do it that way - I took the clamp off the bottom of an old dizzy, then turned up a bit of steel on the lathe so that it was the same daimeter as the dizzy's shaft. Turned in a groove for an o-ring, then used the old clamp to hold the bung in place. I put an over-sized bit at the top of the bung to ensure that it couldn't fall inside the engine, even if the clamp came loose.

I hate to ask but I will anyway!!!

"How did you drive the oil pump as this is driven off the bottom of the dizzy on a Pinto??"

Summer's here!!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
'Cos it's a crossflow!

The oil and fuel pumps are driven independently from the dizzy, so it can be removed without causing problems elsewhere. The dizzy and the oil pump use the same gear on the cam, but totally independent of one another.

Good point though - if anyone else is thinking of doing this on any engine other than a crossflow, just make sure that it won't cause problems elsewhere.

David

[Edited on 8/1/07 by David Jenkins]

TangoMan

posted on 8/1/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
'Cos it's a crossflow!

Now that's just cheatin'.

It makes sense now though!

Summer's here!!!!

DaveFJ

posted on 10/1/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have been trying to work out how i am going to do similair on my Pinto

I am thinking along the lines of stripping down the dizzy and cutting away as much as possible... anyone got any experience of this?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

rusty nuts

posted on 10/1/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Someone once posted how they removed the distributor on a pinto , can't remember who though
David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Here's what the engine bay looks like now, just in front of the scuttle. The MJ box is on the other side of the firewall. Rescued attachment DSCF0031.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0031.JPG

NS Dev

posted on 11/1/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
plenty of room for a bmw cooper s supercharger on the empty side now!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.